• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help: Pen Finish Problem

I turned a pen at an open house at a local store last October. Leaving this pen in a shirt pocket during wash stripped all the finish from the wood. I don't want to go out and buy special finish just for one pen, so I would like to use the varnish, bees wax, shellac, and polyurethane on hand. Also because the pen is assembled I cannot finish this pen on the lathe. What is the best finish in terms of wear and ease of application in this case?
:confused:
J. Tyler

Most pens are pretty easy to disassemble for refinishing on the lathe. If it was me I would take it apart mount it on the lathe and do a CA finish.

Without disassembly you will have a hard time dealing with finishing the wood under the clip. Wax won't be very durable, but will be the easiset to apply off the lathe with the clip still on the pen.

Shellac isn't worth using on a pen in my opinion.

You might be able to get away with varnish or poly, but I don't think it will look (or feel) very good.

Maybe consider using tung or walnut oil and then let the wood develop a natural patina over time with use from the oils in your skin.

Don't forget to replace the refill that went through the wash.

Ed

Website
www.zionfire.com
I'm with Ed on this thing. I used to be a real proponent of friction polishes for these guys. I'm a hot body (temperature-wise, in case you didn't understand :p) and I can personally melt most shellac and similar finishes.

We have one guy in our local chapter who does gel varnish finishes that are very nice and that should last a very long time. He says that he uses Bartley gel varnish and burns it in on the lathe like he would any friction polish. I'm hoping to give that a try once I can locate some. Woodcraft no longer carries it nor does Lowes or HD locally. Still looking.

CA used to be a scary finish for me, but one of the local turners uses it exclusively for his pens and was kind enough to educate me. Took the scary right out of it! :) It's the only finish I'll use for pens that I'd sell or that I'd give to folks I see on a regular basis. I do NOT want to have them coming back to me, whining about tacky or melted finishes!

And like Ed, I recommend taking it apart. It usually isn't that hard unless you're one of the ones who is determined to glue his pens together!

Concerning taking the pen apart for refinishing, I agree with the others. Disassembly is really quite simple. As for the finish to use, I've had good success with Deft lacquer. I've used both the spray cans and quart size cans, but I dip the barrels when using the latter. This requires the use of bushings so that the lacquer doesn't settle at the bottom and form a lip. Using the spray can this isn't necessary. Just use four or more thin coats. I've also had good luck with Polycrylic (and have used the same methods as lacquer). The most important thing about lacquer is to let it cure for at least 5 days before buffing and assembly.

Back