• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help needed

As George Bernard Shaw, or perhaps someone else, said: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language"

Define your terms and proceed. Simple is good.

Since there are a multitude of ‘slang terms’, like using ‘recess‘ when speaking of a ‘mortise’, or ‘opening’ when referring to a ‘rabbet’, using them will bring complaints; since regardless of the term you use, some folks will take exception. I think your best bet is to be very technically correct. Folks can look up those terms if they aren’t familiar.

‘Opening’ surely doesn’t give much information, whereas ‘rabbet’, a notch on the edge specifically made to receive another part. Think of rabbet joint. It best describes what you are doing.

Same with ‘mortise’, a specific type of recess.

Hey Emiliano, just take a couple sentences to Identify that both terms are in common usage and proceed with your personally used/ comfortable term...I prefer mortise but I understand recess and wouldn't get my shorts in a bundle with either term...
I agree with Robert. Briefly state the controversy, this will add interest to your article. You might even go so far as to mention the difficulty in translating. Then establish what term you're going to use and write away.

Emiliano, you may have to put a 'these are called many different names, and for simplicity, I am calling them this....' statement to open the article......

robo hippy

But, the big question is, what should I use in my article? The correct word, and risk getting 100 guys saying they all call it recess or go with the flow? I always like to use the right terminology, but in this case, I might be swimming against the current. Autocorrect keeps thinking that I'm talking about school recess, LOL
This is one of the big problems that the English language has; one word could mean more than one thing! In Spanish, we have a name for everything; we do not double up, or even triple up. We have different names for the same parts, pieces, or tools in different countries. I came across this translating Journal articles to Spanish. Some were impossible to translate. Like sheer scrape.
Since it will be in Spanish, and there is a particular word for everything, logically the Spanish word for recess (not school) would have a very different meaning than mortise (I dont know Spanish). Do you know Spanish speaking flat woodworkers, and what term do they use for a mortise?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You can't please everybody. Surely, anybody would be able to figure out what you're talking about. The proper name for the joint is mortise while recess, hole, and slot are words used to describe a mortise.

There are 2 methods of holding a piece with a chuck. If using the compression mode, the chuck holds the wood in a tenon. Using the expansion mode, the piece is held within a recess. The 2 terms are used specifically and uniquely for each method of holding in the woodturning vernacular. Unless of course, you are making a platter with a recessed tenon. In this case, you can hold it in a chuck either way. LOL.

THERE IS NO MORTISE in woodturning, only "zool".

The term 'compression' never worked for me as an accurate description. To me, the wood is compressed either way. One way is pushing in/tenon, and the other way is pushing out/recess. Yes, I am kind of weird... Okay, more than kind of...

robo hippy

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
The term 'compression' never worked for me as an accurate description. To me, the wood is compressed either way. One way is pushing in/tenon, and the other way is pushing out/recess. Yes, I am kind of weird... Okay, more than kind of...

robo hippy
Dennis was referring to a "chuck" ... not the "wood".

But, the big question is, what should I use in my article? The correct word, and risk getting 100 guys saying they all call it recess or go with the flow? I always like to use the right terminology, but in this case, I might be swimming against the current. Autocorrect keeps thinking that I'm talking about school recess, LOL
This is one of the big problems that the English language has; one word could mean more than one thing! In Spanish, we have a name for everything; we do not double up, or even triple up. We have different names for the same parts, pieces, or tools in different countries. I came across this translating Journal articles to Spanish. Some were impossible to translate. Like sheer scrape.
You could include a sidebar in your article with an English to English dictionary for the terms you're having problems with.

I suspect most turners have done traditional woodworking so the term mortise and tenon is well understood so I doubt you will cause any confusion. In the turning world I don't recall hearing a turner use the term mortise. They always say recess so that's what I would recommend.
I agree, in 22 yrs I can’t recall of a tenon recess referred to as a mortise.

Back