• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help for copper leaf patina sealant.

Hello all. First time posting, I am hoping for some help. I have copper leafed the inside of a bowl, and used Triangle Coatings Sophisticated Finishes blue patina. I need to know how to coat/seal the patina without wiping it out. I have tried the following:
Triangle Coatings own recommended primer/sealer. That left it chalky and the patina would still wipe off when handled.
Lacquer sanding sealer, brushed on. Wiped out most of the patina.
Clear acrylic spray. Wiped out most of the patina.
Ren wax. Wiped out all of the patina and copper, down to wood.
BLO and mineral spirits. Wiped out 80% of the patina and leaf.

I am not sure what else to try. While this bowl is meant to be looked at not used, you know us turners, it will be fondled. I don't want everyone's finger tips turning turquoise blue while examining my art. I love the color, and love that it is dead flat. I would like to preserve that look, but more importantly I want the patina to be there years from now.

I will post a picture soon, after I put my camera back together.

Thanks for any help you might have, and for your time replying.

Larry

Hi Larry - I've had good luck with using SculptNouveau's SmartCoat 1K (satin or matte) to seal patinas. No wear on the patina with lots of handling. It's a water based urethane and I mist it on (with a cheap spray bottle) doing a couple thin coats.

They also sell a 2 part laquer ("Smartcoat 2K") that is supposed to be even more bullet proof for outdoor / harsh environment use. I haven't tried that. The 1k has been good enough for me.

Ed

Thanks Ed and H for the reply!

I will try both ideas on some sample boards I am making for that purpose. I will post pictures when I have them done, probably early next week.

I welcome any and all ideas, please let me know what you have tried, and if it worked or did not.

Larry

I'll have to try the Deft. I've had no luck keeping this stuff on either... Like you, I love the look, but it flakes off as soon as I touch it. I tried an acrylic sealer, but it immediately made it look very dark.

Back