• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grizzly G0766 22x42 Lathe

Jamie.......the jet is a nice lathe.....that grizz seems to be a hoss..........take a moment to cut out some different size diameter cardboard circles.....8 .... 10....12......16........24.........30.........then take the cardboard around the house and see where the different size forms would fit in your home.......everybody seems to want a big dough bowl but how often can you sell one........just my 2 cents worth

Oh, I wish! I've been determined to make the Jet 1236 work for me for at least a year, but if something goes haywire and there's no winning lottery ticket in my pocket, I'd probably opt for the G0766.

My appologies Jamie, for not realizing you did not have the G0766 unit. My visits here to the AAW forum have been few in the last year.

On your Jet 1236.....my neighbor behind me has one of those. The rpm is a bit too high for out of balance bowl blanks, but if you trim your blanks in advance on either a bandsaw or use a chainsaw, and get them balanced fairly well, then that lathe can make some nice turnings.

Good luck......perhaps in the future, things will unfold for you to be able to upgrade!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
..... Where did you find out that they may offer another banjo. I would like to get one for my.g0766. That was my only gripe about my lathe.....

The quote above from your post number 35 caused several of us to think that you have a G0766.

Oh, I wish! I've been determined to make the Jet 1236 work for me for at least a year, but if something goes haywire and there's no winning lottery ticket in my pocket, I'd probably opt for the G0766.

After some digging and head scratching, I figured out that you were attempting to quote Kenny Regenthal, but deleted some very important information (the opening quote tag).

....that grizz seems to be a hoss........

That is a pretty good estimate. I would say that perhaps just over a horse by a nose according to my calculations if the motor has an efficiency of 80% which is a typical value for a better quality three phase motor. The specs say that the full load current rating is 4 Amps. The specs say 220 volts, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and used 240 volts in my calculation since 240 volts is the standard in the US (whereas 220 volts would be something like pre-WWII REA power). I also was generous by not taking into account that a small portion of that power gets turned into heat in the inverter and, therefore, is a loss that doesn't benefit the motor. Of course, it is possible that the specs shown in the manual are incorrect. Looking at the inverter and the settings that are programmed for the motor would tell the true story.

Jamie.......the jet is a nice lathe.....that grizz seems to be a hoss..........take a moment to cut out some different size diameter cardboard circles.....8 .... 10....12......16........24.........30.........then take the cardboard around the house and see where the different size forms would fit in your home.......everybody seems to want a big dough bowl but how often can you sell one........just my 2 cents worth

How true. I'll actually be doing a lot of spindle work if things work out. A friend owns a shop downtown and wants me to make stuff -- candlesticks, wine stoppers, kitchen/dining stuff perhaps. Also tea boxes. I have plenty of bowl stock (alder, apple and maple), but bowls will be down the road a bit. I just have the feeling that the bigger lathes are perhaps made better in general, and I do want (eventually) a lathe that runs slow enough to handle these infamous unbalanced bowl blanks.:D One thing for sure, if things aren't lined up right mechanically, a spindle more than 2" or 3" long is gonna have problems.:p

The quote above from your post number 35 caused several of us to think that you have a G0766.

After some digging and head scratching, I figured out that you were attempting to quote Kenny Regenthal, but deleted some very important information (the opening quote tag).[Snip].

Kenny's original post (#31) quoted me, but had a missing QUOTE code. It increased the confusion when I quoted it. I saw it when I Replied with Quote, but didn't correct it. Oh well, Happy New Year's!

Last edited:
[Snip]
That is a pretty good estimate. I would say that perhaps just over a horse by a nose according to my calculations if the motor has an efficiency of 80% which is a typical value for a better quality three phase motor. The specs say that the full load current rating is 4 Amps. The specs say 220 volts, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and used 240 volts in my calculation since 240 volts is the standard in the US (whereas 220 volts would be something like pre-WWII REA power). I also was generous by not taking into account that a small portion of that power gets turned into heat in the inverter and, therefore, is a loss that doesn't benefit the motor. Of course, it is possible that the specs shown in the manual are incorrect. Looking at the inverter and the settings that are programmed for the motor would tell the true story.

Show-off.;);)

My appologies Jamie, for not realizing you did not have the G0766 unit. My visits here to the AAW forum have been few in the last year.

On your Jet 1236.....my neighbor behind me has one of those. The rpm is a bit too high for out of balance bowl blanks, but if you trim your blanks in advance on either a bandsaw or use a chainsaw, and get them balanced fairly well, then that lathe can make some nice turnings.

Good luck......perhaps in the future, things will unfold for you to be able to upgrade!

No apology needed, Roger, I realize most of you have tons of work to do and I hardly expect anyone to keep track of my tool status, even when I don't confusicate things with bad code.:D

G 0766

The response to my inquiry regarding the Grizzly have been impressive and positions of responders have been articulated very well. Thanks to everyone that took the time and interest to share your knowledge and experience. Especially I wish to thank Kenny Regenthal for spending a couple of hours today to show me his lathes and shop. Your hospitality was greatly appreciated.

Jay Mullins

Life is good, Retirement is better

The response to my inquiry regarding the Grizzly have been impressive and positions of responders have been articulated very well. Thanks to everyone that took the time and interest to share your knowledge and experience. Especially I wish to thank Kenny Regenthal for spending a couple of hours today to show me his lathes and shop. Your hospitality was greatly appreciated.

Jay Mullins

Life is good, Retirement is better

Your welcome Jay. It was nice to meet you. It was also nice to share wood turning ideas, stories and wood. Looking forward to turning the cottonwood piece. Good luck on your decision.

Thank you.
Kenny Regenthal

Back