• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

grain orientation

I'm new at spindle turning and want to try something new, my question is what kind of movement will I get when I glue(using CA) end grain to face grain. I have a hollow form that I turned and want to make a "pedestal". The wood I am using is kiln dried if that makes any difference.

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
The joint may come apart after a year if in an environment where the temperature and humidity changes over time UNLESS the two woods expand and contract at the same rate and in the same direction. I think that's the key here, is the difference in movement between the two woods.
Also, CA glue is quite brittle, has no flexibility so that in itself can cause problems. You'd be better off with a carpenter's glue such as Titebond.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
kengrunke said:
The joint may come apart after a year if in an environment where the temperature and humidity changes over time UNLESS the two woods expand and contract at the same rate and in the same direction. I think that's the key here, is the difference in movement between the two woods.
Also, CA glue is quite brittle, has no flexibility so that in itself can cause problems. You'd be better off with a carpenter's glue such as Titebond.
AND...
Beth Ireland reports that Titebond II will join end grain so well that (if properly done) one side or the other of the joint will break before the glue joint will - according to the manufacturer... I believe it to be true.

Give the different grain orentations, if you try to flush join your pedestal to your hollow form, seasonal wood movement will result in one side of the joint eventually standing a little proud. Plan to add a little feature (like a groove or bead) to disguise the joint and make eventual movement a little less obvious.

Ed

Back