• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gouge setup upgrade: SB Tools

So I've put enough time into turning that I'm needing to grow my gouge setup a bit. I'll be traveling to Nevada through Las Vegas this week for work, and thought I could take the opportunity to pick up a SB Tools setup with a couple of handles, bolsters, and continue to source the gouges elsewhere. I'm in the military and move somewhat regularly, so I see the value in a modular setup that may not take up as much space as well, but that could just be me trying to justify it.

I've seen some positive reviews, but have struggled to find an all encompassing review. Would love anyone here's opinion on the collet system versus the twist lock.

I would be looking at getting a 12", 20" handles and whatever gouges I can get with at least one scraper setup from Woodworkers Emporium.

Thanks for any insight.

As far as handles go, you can only use one at a time while turning. I prefer being able to switch out the tool from the handle without having to use any other tool like an Allen key. A twist release in the SB line, ER32 collet and a cam lock fulfill this. I own a legacy cam lock system that requires a 3/4” sleeve installed in each tool. A set screw secures the tool to the sleeve. The sleeves are bored for each size tool diameter and also accept tang type tools like scrapers and roughing gouges. They all can fit in my handle and an er32 with a 3/4 collet. My system predated the expensive SB setup.
T
here is a photo provided in this older discussion of my handle and extension.
https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/quick-release-adapter.14758/#post-146114
There are also other discussions archived.
https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/quick-release-adapter.14758/#post-146114

I am not sure if Stuart will be or is still making his tools. You should probably ask. His tools only fit in his handles. He uses V10 metal for his tools, which is identical to the Thompson tools. I consider the V10 and M42 to be pretty much identical in cutting properties. I don't know if there is any advantage over his tools. I prefer wood handles myself... I never use scrapers more than 1 inch wide.

robo hippy

Actually, I’ll probably be posting a wanted ad got any other scrapers or twist lock tools members may be willing to part with. I like them very much.

Back