• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

gold leafing

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
]I applied the gold leafing to the bottom of my bowl according to the instructions. Turned out really well, I think. I then applied the sealer that came with the kit. when it dried, it was grainier than I anticipated. Is this normal? Dont want to sand it for fear of damaging the leaf. Any ideas, suggestions? I will say, it adds a new dimension to the turnings, you ought to try it if you havent. Max

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
What do you mean by grainier? Was the spray grainy or the gold leaf. Was it imitation gold leaf or real gold leaf. I'm guessing imitation because you don't really have to apply a finish to real gold if you don't want to. I would have to know more about the type of finish. Is it water based or solvent based? If it was in a spray can you might just be too far away or need a thicker coat to eliminate the texture of the spray.

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
gold leaf

Hi John,
I dont know how else to describe grainy. Sandpaper is grainy for example. I brushed the sealer on with a small brush.I thought it would be slick like the gold leaf.No spray, just what was in the kit.Max

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
don't know what to tell you. If there was crud under the gold leaf it would show but you would have seen that before hand. The same is true with brushing over a dusty surface. I assume it doesn't look like brush marks.
Have you tried buffing.If you have a buffing system like the Beal try that but be very light on the touch so you don't cut through the finish.
4/0 steel wool will knock off the dust nibs and brush marks but will make the finish look satin. I use white rubbing compound after the 4/0 to polish it back up followed by Johnson's past wax.

Laying gold

In order to get a REALLY fine leaf job, the leaf must be applied to a REALLY fine surface...like polished lacquer or tung oil...as it will show fine scratches or dust specs in the finish. If the "grainy" texture is very uniform, the problem might be just a bad sealer. If not uniform, your brush might not have been clean enough.

If you are inclined to 'fix it', don't worry about sanding through to the gold, as you can apply gold over gold and only improve the appearance. Be certain that your gold size (stickum) is completely dry before overcoating. Protect the gold with an oil/varnish type finish.

A little gold leaf adds a richness that is beyond compare. Have fun with it!

Website
www.laymar-crafts.co.uk
Gilding is something I tried but never really achieved the results I was aiming for then I bought a book [reviewed on my web site] on the subject and using the techniques explained I had more success.

I found the secret is in the Burnishing prior to adding any Sealer, depending on what type of Gilding you are doing and the base materials determines what you can burnish with, I have had good results with Cotton Wool.

It is also important to work in a dust free area as the Bole and the Size will pick up any airbourne dust whilst drying.

RVS
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Back