• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Getting back in to turning

Hello:

I am interested to get back in to turning small projects, lidded boxes etc. I had a Nova Comet, unfortunately had to sell and move my prior tools. Interested to get back to turning use a bench top midi lathe. Appreciate suggestions on lathes would like to stay around 1K. Saw some reviews of Wen 14”X20” but not familiar with their tools.Appreciate any suggestions, sold my grinder, wheels etc. prefer to keep using my carbide tools.
Thank you. David

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi David! Personally I would stay away from the Wen. I have a couple of WEN tools that I like a lot (electric chainsaw and a benchtop drill press). But, for something like a lathe, I would want a bit more out of the tool. With a budget of 1k you can afford some very nice benchtop lathes. Are you set on 14” swing, or is 12” sufficient? Might be worth it to think about what kind of things you want to turn in the near future.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Jet 1221VS has a pretty good reputation and os right at 1k new. For a bit cheaper you could get Rikon or another Nova, and for a bit more thank 1k you can squeeze into the 14” range with a Record Power Coronet or a Rikon. If you go the used route, you can probably get something very good (or one of the above for a deal).

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have a jet 1221vs. Nice little lathe. Great for ornaments, boxes, small bowls.

Weakness is roughing out of balance blanks - too light.
It is okay turning a NE bowl from a nearly round 1/2 log because that blank is sort of balanced weight wise.

Best values are used lathes. Takes luck to find one.

I've been happy with my Rikon 70-220 (12.5" swing, but with about 3" of quill travel which is handy for drilling pen blanks on the lathe). It was discontinued a year or so ago and replaced by the 70-150, which i've not used. Had an e-mail from Woodturners Wonders last week that they had a supply of 70-220's in stock at around $700, probably the remnants of Rikon's stock of that model. Might be worth a look.

Otherwise, @hockenbery is spot on in value of used. Members of our local woodturners club seem to help improve the "luck" needed to find a good one. Also a great place to find mentors!!
earl

Hello:

I am interested to get back in to turning small projects, lidded boxes etc. I had a Nova Comet, unfortunately had to sell and move my prior tools. Interested to get back to turning use a bench top midi lathe. Appreciate suggestions on lathes would like to stay around 1K. Saw some reviews of Wen 14”X20” but not familiar with their tools.Appreciate any suggestions, sold my grinder, wheels etc. prefer to keep using my carbide tools.
Thank you. David
I've had a JET 1221 for about 10 years. I've replaced the headstock bearings twice, which is a trivial process. It's been a fine little workhorse for me. I've done 10" purpleheart platters, 8" exotic wood bowls, many peppermills, and a few boxes (something I want to do more of). Get ya some decent tool rests and I think you'll be good to go!

I have a jet 1221vs. Nice little lathe. Great for ornaments, boxes, small bowls.

It is okay turning a NE bowl from a nearly round 1/2 log because that blank is sort of balanced weight wise.

Especially on smaller lathes, finding the balance point as you mount the piece between centers, is important. Done correctly, you can almost eliminate that vibration and movement.

David, maybe your first stop should be at one or more of the local woodturning chapters, to see what someone might have for sale. Used lathes are often a wonderful bargain, plus you get to meet people who can teach you new tricks.

I've had a JET 1221 for about 10 years. I've replaced the headstock bearings twice, which is a trivial process. It's been a fine little workhorse for me. I've done 10" purpleheart platters, 8" exotic wood bowls, many peppermills, and a few boxes (something I want to do more of). Get ya some decent tool rests and I think you'll be good to go!
Thank you I am looking used first, joining local chapter. I greatly appreciate all the support through AAW.

Thank you! AAW members are very resourceful and supportive,again thank you.

Jet 1221VS has a pretty good reputation and os right at 1k new. For a bit cheaper you could get Rikon or another Nova, and for a bit more thank 1k you can squeeze into the 14” range with a Record Power Coronet or a Rikon. If you go the used route, you can probably get something very good (or one of the above for a deal).
I want to say again how helpful all of you folks have always been. Greatly appreciated.

+1 for Delta 46-460. It was the second lathe in my shop, that my kids used. Several turners in our club have them. Our club use them for demos.

I have the Wen 34035. It's a decent lathe. At the time I bought it, I wasn't sure whether I would be doing a lot of turning or general woodwork. It has been a good lathe for what I'm doing.

As an aside, I really like the Rikon tools I have (bandsaw, jointer). The motor seized up on the bandsaw within about a month. Not good. Rikon shipped me another motor and I received it two days after I contacted them. Very good. No need to send the old motor back. Very good customer service in my experience.

I've been happy with my Rikon 70-220 (12.5" swing, but with about 3" of quill travel which is handy for drilling pen blanks on the lathe). It was discontinued a year or so ago and replaced by the 70-150, which i've not used. Had an e-mail from Woodturners Wonders last week that they had a supply of 70-220's in stock at around $700, probably the remnants of Rikon's stock of that model. Might be worth a look.

I'm happy with my 70-220 too. I paid $500 used, so $700 new is a great deal. If I were buying new in the ~$1000-ish price range, I'd probably get the new 70-1420VSR. It's basically a beefed-up 70-220, with a little more swing and about as much power as you could hope to get from a 120v lathe. As Kent mentioned, the Rikon service is very good. the previous owner of my lathe had an issue with the electronics, something in the variable speed drive I think, and Rikon sent him a new motor and controller without any hassle. If it weren't for the size limit, I think I'd be happy on the 70-220 for a long time.

I have a Rikon 12” VS. It has been a good lathe. Think I got it for $600 new. I have put some good size chunks of log on it and it handled everything well. Have turned a lot of bowls up to 12” on it. Had it a few years with zero problems. Here it is with a bunch of bottle stoppers.
IMG_0543.jpeg

I should have mentioned that I upgraded to a larger lathe because I now turn larger than 12” Not because of any lathe problems. I still use the Rikon for certain things.

I had a Record Power Coronet Herald for a while. I really liked it. I got a chance to look at the Jet, Delta and Laguna Tools equivalent and found the fit, finish and feel of the Record Power quite above the others. Granted I did not get a chance to use the other lathes so the comparison is not entirely fair.

I had a Record Power Coronet Herald for a while. I really liked it. I got a chance to look at the Jet, Delta and Laguna Tools equivalent and found the fit, finish and feel of the Record Power quite above the others. Granted I did not get a chance to use the other lathes so the comparison is not entirely fair.
I upgraded from the Rikon to the Record Power Envoy. I love the lathe. It has everything I was looking for, 16” swing, 39” outboard, pivoting headstock and pendant with all of the controls. I have had it for 2 to 3 years and don’t have one complaint.

Back