• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Getting a Perfect Polyurethane Finish

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you have ever seen the vases made by Steve Sinner, you know his high gloss finishes are absolutely perfect. I found his video that goes into great detail explaining all of the "how and why" details of his process. I found his finishing video very enlightening and think it is worth sharing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQEJf7KkoQ

Nice! Good info to know. My cheapness has me using Poly from who knows how many years ago!
Will throw out immediately!

Thanks Bill, It does not surprise me to see what a slow, deliberate, and careful job he does, considering the perfection of the tools he makes. It was fun to catch glimpses of his shop in the video, looks like a cool place.

He makes it look easy. I like to use their Fast-Dry Poly. I brush on first coat(s) then apply final coat(s) of it (thinned with mineral spirits) using a a piece of a microfiber towel. I like his system, but I'm usually doing the finishing off the lathe. I've never liked foam brushes, but I never soaked them like he does either.

I bought some zero-loss bags on Amazon for storage. They seem to work well and I'm actually getting thru whole cans now, rather than throwing away product that has gelled or skinned over. The included rubber funnel failed pretty quickly, but the smallest funnel in the cheap assortment from Harbor Freight works well. I made a piece of wood with a slot that holds the neck of the bag while filling. (otherwise you need 3 or more hands)

That lathe is the original 3520A. The B and C models won't spin that slow. Interesting technique.

robo hippy

The included rubber funnel failed pretty quickly
That’s unfortunate, mine continues to work well. One thing is the bag being filled needs to be filled with air, to displace liquid from the can. After filling, just set the funnel aside and let the finish cure inside of it. The dried finish can then just be peeled off.

Back