• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

General Maxi Lathe - problem starting

Hi: I just purchased a General Maxi Lathe. I set it up, turned it on and the digital readout (that indicates your speed) says "SAFE", but the lathe doesn't turn. We've tried everything we can think of to get it going. The manual doesn't have any information useful for this problem, nor does the General website. Has anyone else run across this or does anyone have an idea about what's up? Thanks very much! (p.s. I am brand new to the forum--it's great).
:confused:

Return to point of purchase. I spoke with my local Woodcraft owner about the Maxi when it first came out and he told me they had to replace an electronics board in their demo machine right away and that there appears to have been a number of units sold with defective control boards...

KEW

I'm afraid I know nothing about your lathe and this is a total "shot in the dark", but since it says "safe" there may be some sort of safety which prevents the lathe from turning on if it is in an unsafe condition.
I can think of two reasons a manufacturer might do this.
1) the spindle lock is engaged
2) the RPM needs to be set to 0 before the motor will energize.

It would be impressive if your lathe has either of these lock-outs, but I would check before returning the machine.

General did in fact have problems with the circuit board and delayed shipping for almost three months getting it worked out. They finally got second or third generation board installed in the machines in their stock and started shipping about the first week in February. A friend of mine has one it for the money it is a very nice machine. It definitely is NOT a mini.

CPeter

Back