• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Further Down The Texture Trail

Yesterday you couldn't have knocked the smile off my face even if I had had a catch on a 16-inch burl bowl. Reason, though off-topic, is in the first picture. Got a call at 0515 from the big kid in Bamberg, not Baghdad. Second tour is officially over. Think my grandsons' shirts say how I feel. Thanks for bearing with me.

Today was a good beginning, but over a 2.5 hour power loss I had the piece in the second picture in progress. It just doesn't work. The wing bowl looks ok by itself, but the top is somehow wrong. Stuck a couple of sticks on top, and a finial won't save it. Wondering if I went to something flatter it might help. Other thought is to take a split section and leave it full texture as a top. Not sure as yet how I'd do it, but I think I probably could figure a way.

Am I squeaking at the wrong cheese? Is this attempt a trap I should avoid, or is there a way to save it?

Last in the package is a bowl I turned after the one already posted. Hard maple, and it promises to be better than the first. It will definitely get a brushed edge to keep the bright color. Thinking I'll char the first and oil him for dark.

Attachments

• welcome-home.jpg
    welcome-home.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 351
  • Texture-Experiment-Two.jpg
    Texture-Experiment-Two.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 265
Mod A

Flattened the lid profile, finial-less as SWMBO prefers. Little bit of a reveal provides for lifting grip. I like it better, and it may become the basis for my choice when I work up the last rough in this series. The first is a dish in bowl, made as a warp-and-go, which the spouse viewed, and then said "now make a lid." Can't given the thickness and loss of dimension, so the thicker rough is waiting dry-down to do it. Since it's about twelve, the lid will have to have a knob or finial, and I think I'll favor the flatter profile.

Attachments

• Evolution-Sheet.jpg
    Evolution-Sheet.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 210
Back