• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Rabea Gebler for "Plum Blossom" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 24, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

full face shield with some magnification built in?

I know about the visor ones and similar others but I wear prescription glasses and I like a full face shield to protect my beautiful baby face...... anyway with glasses and a full face shield, trying to fit visor or the similar type is just too crowded.

I've googled and goggled and haven't had any luck. the ai says sure there's one but I'm finding that they lie as well as not being able to draw fingers.

So anyone seen or heard of such an animal? Maybe point me in the direction of the site? Also impact face shield. found the medical ones that are for stopping liquids.

Worst comes to worse I guess I could stick some reader safety goggles over my glasses then put a face shield over everything but once again kind of crowded.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Any particular reason you could not visit your local optometrist and see about having them do a set of glasses with the magnification needed? I don't see why they would not , once they understand what you wanted and why? At the very least they could get you some numbers and you could order them from Zenni? just a thought...

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Have you considered prescription safety glasses to wear in the shop? They are not inexpensive, but not more than fancy designer frames. They work well with minimal hassle.

Now that I no longer need prescription glasses I wear the DeWalt bifocal safety glasses routinely in the shop-- 2.5 diopter readers in the bifocal for close work, and a full face shield on top at the lathe. Works very well for me.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I told my dr I wanted safety gasses that focused at a longer working distance than reading.
I wear them under face shields they focus a bit beyond my outstretch hand.
Great for seeing the surface of turning.
I have a second pair of safety glasses with my reading prescription I use these for close work

In face shields, the sheild needs replacement from time to time.

Last edited:
I already have glasses, Finding another pair of frames that are comfortable on my xl brain capacity cranium is the challenge.

Swapping a face shield when I want the extra magnification is what I'm after. Those sticktoit things look to be a good item to try. Ideally a bigger field of view would be better but baby steps till I find what I'm after.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Sam Fleisher I'm confused. Magnification is usually only needed when doing non-turning activities ... tiny embellishing, carving, pyrography, etc. Why would you need a face shield? Even if magnification is needed for turning very small items, i.e., ornament finials, you can forego the face shield. Since my cataract surgeries I wear reader glasses / covered with safety glasses/goggles / and face shield. These goggles or similar ones work for me.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Magnification is usually only needed when doing non-turning activities
Not for me, I like to see what I'm doing.
I wear reader safety glasses I got from my eye doc. I need readers to read, see at the computer, and to see well at the lathe - whether I'm making a finial or a 14" bowl. Got them from the doc, explained what I do and she said readers is what I need. Got a slightly different magnification on each eye so I also have decent depth perception at the lathe.

I don't otherwise wear glasses, so I don't know things like how readers work (or not) with a prescription. And I know nothing about Sam's eyes. So can't really help there.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Not for me, I like to see what I'm doing.
I wear reader safety glasses I got from my eye doc. I need readers to read, see at the computer, and to see well at the lathe - whether I'm making a finial or a 14" bowl. Got them from the doc, explained what I do and she said readers is what I need. Got a slightly different magnification on each eye so I also have decent depth perception at the lathe.

I don't otherwise wear glasses, so I don't know things like how readers work (or not) with a prescription. And I know nothing about Sam's eyes. So can't really help there.
I like to see what I'm doing as well.
I think we have to make a distinction between "magnification" and prescription lenses (readers or otherwise). I've been wearing glasses since I was a kid. Like a magnifying glass - when you want to enlarge the object for a close up view. Items like MagEyes or Headband Magnifier are mostly used for stationary work, and usually come with multiple lenses for different magnification and distances. I have tried to use them for tiny finials to get a better view, but I don't really like them for that purpose.

@Sam Fleisher I'm confused. Magnification is usually only needed when doing non-turning activities ... tiny embellishing, carving, pyrography, etc. Why would you need a face shield? Even if magnification is needed for turning very small items, i.e., ornament finials, you can forego the face shield. Since my cataract surgeries I wear reader glasses / covered with safety glasses/goggles / and face shield. These goggles or similar ones work for me.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I need readers for just about everything. I never turn without my bifocals on. I just can't see detail, scratches, tool marks, etc. well enough without them.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I'm not sure how old you are, but I need readers for just about everything. I never turn without my bifocals on. I just can't see detail, scratches, tool marks, etc. well enough without them.
Ha! ... I know what you mean. I had progressive lenses and couldn't see much without them - they were on from the moment I woke up until I went to bed. Being nearsighted - when I wanted to see up close (detail, scratches, tool marks, etc.) I would look over the top of my glasses and move to within inches of my face. Since my cataract surgeries (unhappy with the results) the readers help a little, but both eyes don't quite focus the same.
Guess I should go to the optometrist and get a pair for reading and another for driving, etc.:rolleyes: BTW, I'll be 80 in 3+ months. :eek:

Ha! ... I know what you mean. I had progressive lenses and couldn't see much without them - they were on from the moment I woke up until I went to bed. Being nearsighted - when I wanted to see up close (detail, scratches, tool marks, etc.) I would look over the top of my glasses and move to within inches of my face. Since my cataract surgeries (unhappy with the results) the readers help a little, but both eyes don't quite focus the same.
Guess I should go to the optometrist and get a pair for reading and another for driving, etc.:rolleyes: BTW, I'll be 80 in 3+ months. :eek:

I tried progressive lenses, too. To me, they are useless. The middle range can't be used for PC work, and the reading part magnifies two words at a time. I'm pretty happy with straight bifocals.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I tried progressive lenses, too. To me, they are useless. The middle range can't be used for PC work, and the reading part magnifies two words at a time. I'm pretty happy with straight bifocals.
Re: progressive lenses. Not been my experience ... I've worn them since the '70s with no problems - other than occasional changes to optimize my vision as is usual with all lens types.

Back