• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Tom Hale & Rebecca DeGroot for "Walking Mushroom" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 30, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

FS: Hannes Tool 1" Bowl Roughing Gouge - NEW

That flute is awfully short and there is no flat milled on the shaft. What sharpening jig would be effective without a flat to register against as the flute gets shorter? Would freehand sharpening be necessary?

That flute is awfully short and there is no flat milled on the shaft. What sharpening jig would be effective without a flat to register against as the flute gets shorter? Would freehand sharpening be necessary?
You can freehand but Hannes also sells a jig that kind of replicates it. I have this gouge and don’t use it often but on the occasion when I want it at least I have it. I have several of his tools and do use them often. I believe Doug T made the tools to Hannes specifications. The handles are awesome!

I also have that tool and the addition of jig to use it with Hannes' sharpening system. For bowls it removes lots of wood fast!

Back