• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First real turning

Finally got around to turning something besides pens and bee hives. This is cherry that was cut about 5 or 6 years ago. Got some tool marks inside and outside as I jockeyed back and forth between centers and the chuck. Figured out how to part it without the piece flying into the Netherworld. A real learning experience for me. Two coats of WOP. Had to grind a round nose gouge to make a side grind tool. Would have been better finish if I had only stuck to the chuck or the spur drive. Stuck to the chuck??? I made a Dr. Seuss rhyme!
20200217_132253.jpg

Last edited:
John, that's a very nice end grain piece. You've got a real good finish. IMHO end grain hollowing is one of the most difficult things we turners do. The tools marks are normal in early end grain work and get better over time as you gain experience. You recognize what they are and that's a good start to getting rid of them. Now do 50 more and the skills will become locked in!

One of our club members held a class at my shop last Friday (Valentine’s Day) on making a hook tool. Best way to hollow end grain that I’ve seen. Can I say I took to the hook?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Finally got around to turning something besides pens and bee hives. This is cherry that was cut about 5 or 6 years ago. Got some tool marks inside and outside as I jockeyed back and forth between centers and the chuck. Figured out how to part it without the piece flying into the Netherworld. A real learning experience for me. Two coats of WOP. Had to grind a round nose gouge to make a side grind tool. Would have been better finish if I had only stuck to the chuck or the spur drive. Stuck to the chuck??? I made a Dr. Seuss rhyme!
View attachment 32091
Well done!! I wish I had my first "real turning" Keep it, number it #1.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Stuck to the chuck??? I made a Dr. Seuss rhyme!

I consulted the official AAW Moderator Rule Book of Improbable and Obscure Offenses and it says that you are forgiven for a first time offense of uttering (or typing) a Dr.Seuss rhyme.

Very nice first "real" turning. My first several attempts were "unreal" (and, not in a good way).

Many thanks to all. Got a piece on the lathe now. Will be end grain.
Bill, I could have quoted a politician but no one would believe me.:p

Back