• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing with wipe on poly

I am putting the final finish on a very large platter that I turned and this will be a new finish for me. My go-to is shellac, but I want protection for this piece from water and alcohol. I have used a wax free shellac sanding sealer and would normally use Acks abrasive paste at this stage, but I am not sure how to proceed. Any help is appreciated.

Wally you can use any oil based product as long as it drys ok. I use DO mix my own at 33/33/33 Poly Urethane,BLO, and turpentine, just make good and sure its totally dry. Ideally you want a warm day with low humidity, if your shop is heated etc it should be fine. I wipe mine on with a lint free rag or paper towel, don't load the rag up otherwise you may get runs. It will be touch dry in a few minutes depending on local temps and will harden up over a few days. I have used it on all my gallery pieces for several years as it provides a very durable hard finish

Back