• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing Spindle Work

Anyone care to share tips on how to finish spindle items on the lathe. E.g., do you finish the parted-off ends later? I am making some wands and find it a real pain to put on the finish off the lathe, but if I leave them on, how do I finish the ends?

Thanks,

BH

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
undefinedIt only makes sense to finish the work on the lathe. After parting off you only have to finish the ends by hand.

I apply finish on the lathe for small items, then touch up the ends off. Larger things will usually be finished off the lathe. Things like balusters that get painted will have primer/filler applied and surfaced on the lathe, and then the final finish applied off.

OKAY, Dustpan, I'll bite. What's this "undefined" bit on your recent posts. :confused:

mm

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
undefined

Hi Mark,
All I know is when I try to enlarge the pring so you can read it, a` window comes up and i click OK then when the post is sent that is how it comes up. Dont know what to do with it, Sorry, Max.

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Max,
The text size looks fine to me, if it's too small on your computer you are better off to change your browser settings. For most browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) that's under the View menu.

Last edited:
Dustpan said:
Hi Mark,
All I know is when I try to enlarge the pring so you can read it, a` window comes up and i click OK then when the post is sent that is how it comes up. Dont know what to do with it, Sorry, Max.

Gotcha, Max.

Wondered if it was some obscure Clint Eastwood or Fellini reference. :D

mm

ps: The default font size is okay. Save yourself the trouble. ;)

Hey!! I've seen posts hijacked before, but from "finishing on the lathe" to "Fellini"?:D :D

Back