• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing query

I recently built a formal herb garden. I wanted to have a sundial. As a collector of chess sets, I made a stand for the sundial in the shape of the rook. It is about 30" high. The sundial will sit in the recess in the top of the piece. I made the piece from cypress.

Query: Since it will be outdoors, what is the best way to finish it? The consensus at our woodturners' club was to leave it natural, as cypress can withstand the weather (I'm in south central PA) and any kind of varnish may "cloud" up. My original thought was to use something like a marine varnish.

marine varnish

while your location is not on the water, a marine varnish will weather, so once started with marine varnish just put 2 or 3 new coats on ever year

the same wood say on biscanye bay at miami you would probable be recoating more frequently:D

My first choice would be to allow it to weather naturally.

Second choice would be visting a good paint store and inquiring about sealers with uv inhibitors and mildewcides. Don't buy cheap (or expensive) stuff from the big box store (e.g. thompson's waterseal). You'll be sorry. Applying with a pump sprayer each year (or more frequently if needed) after a good cleaning won't be too much work.

If you really want to use a film finish then consider something like Cetol from a marine supplier (e.g. west marine). It's highly rated by boat owners and most feel it greatly reduces the annual drudgery of keeping the wood looking good. I would strongly advise against using something like spar varnish from the big box store. You will really really really regret it. The more angles, nooks and crannies in your creation the more difficult it will be to apply and maintain a film finish.

If there will be areas where water will get trapped (like under the sundial or in joints / seams), consider applying a thick resin coat like you would find on a boat hull. Google "osmotic blistering" to learn more about resin choices and potential problems.

Ed

Look into Cabot Australian Timber Oil. Found it a Lowes.
Recommended Uses:​
Cabot Australian Timber Oil for
Decks and Outdoor Furniture​
is a unique
blend of oils originally formulated to protect
dense tallowwood, cambara and merbau
from the extreme Australian exposures.
Now this technology is available in the
United States as a proven translucent oil
treatment for mahogany, teak and other
premium exotic wood surfaces used for
decks and outdoor furniture. Australian
Timber Oil penetrates deep into the dense,
resin-rich woods to accentuate natural
wood depth and patina.
Containing a precise blend of superb-grade
linseed oil for maximum penetration,
long-oil alkyds for durability and pure
South American tung oil for color depth and
water repellency, Australian Timber Oil
delivers three-way oil protection. In addition,
complex translucent iron oxide pigments are
added to ensure a lasting U.V.-absorbing
surface rich with color and dimension.
The result after years of development is an
advanced-technology treatment of unrivaled
performance designed to protect your exotic
wood surfaces like never before.

Composition:​
Penetrating, clear product, based on
long-oil alkyds modified with premium
grades of tung oil and linseed oil.​
Finish:​
Dries to a flat, translucent-toned finish.

I recently built a formal herb garden. I wanted to have a sundial. As a collector of chess sets, I made a stand for the sundial in the shape of the rook. It is about 30" high. The sundial will sit in the recess in the top of the piece. I made the piece from cypress.

Query: Since it will be outdoors, what is the best way to finish it? The consensus at our woodturners' club was to leave it natural, as cypress can withstand the weather (I'm in south central PA) and any kind of varnish may "cloud" up. My original thought was to use something like a marine varnish.

Back