• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finish problems

Just finished turning a new piece and put a couple coats of gloss poly on it, when I looking at it I noticed some "dull" spots. I haven't had this problem before and don't know what went wrong. Any help would be great.

Not a lot to do but speculate with as little as you've given. Three most popular:

1) Differential absorption. Spalted wood, end grain, things like that suck in more juice than face grain.

2) Application errors. Get the flashlight out to check and see if you have missed spots with your rag or brush.

3) Inadequate surface preparation. The stuff wants "tooth" to stick, and if you're not using that same flashlight to make sure your paper or wool has dulled the old surface, it can pull away from a slick area by surface tension.

Any of these should have obvious appearances related to their cause.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Poly is not one of the favorite finishes of many woodturners. As supplied, it is rather thick so it tends to set on top of side grain and can build up quickly after several applications. At the same time it seems to have an amazing propensity to soak into end grain ... and the amount of finish needed to fill the pores seems to be never ending. You can thin the poly 50-50 with either naphtha (fast drying) or mineral spirits (slow drying) to minimize the buildup on side grain, but it does not help the end grain situation. A solution that I have used in furniture making is to first apply a couple coats of a one-pound cut of dewaxed super blonde shellac (you need to mix it yourself using flakes followed by filtering to remove most of the last remnants of wax). Follow this with a 50-50 mix of poly using naphtha for a fast drying finish. The poly should be applied thinly with a rag and about six coats are needed to equal one coat of unthinned poly. If you do not use dewaxed shellac you will have problems with cloudiness and adhesion.

Bill

Don't for get wood type. Some pines and exotics have either poor absorbtion at points or will actually soften the finish over time due to natural solvents in the wood.

Dietrich

dkulze said:
Don't for get wood type. Some pines and exotics have either poor absorbtion at points or will actually soften the finish over time due to natural solvents in the wood.

Dietrich

well after six coats it looks pretty even. it's not perfect but you really have to look at it up close. Thanks for the advise.

Ryan
It looks like you found the solution. I tried a can of wipe-on poly back at Christmas. It took 6 or 7 coats to get coverage and eliminate the dry spots. A few more coats for good measure and I was done.

I am real happy with Minwax Antique Oil lately. It's available at my local Ace Hardware and seems to cover better than Watco Danish and offer much better shelf life than Formbys Tung oil.

My two cents worth

Frank

ryan34 said:
well after six coats it looks pretty even. it's not perfect but you really have to look at it up close. Thanks for the advise.

Ryan, if the form is not to complicated try this next time. Be it Minwax or General Finishes Arm-R-Seal(I've used both) sand the first coat in rather than wiping it on. Sand with 400G or higher till the oil gets looking dull and dirty looking and drags the sandpaper. Then wipe it down with a rag. Once it is dry, re-coat as normal(2 or 3 coats) I do the first coat on the lathe. The inside of a bowl gets done before I finish turn the foot. My standard disclaimer; It may not necessarily be the right way, only way or wrong way but it works for me.

Please do not use SiC (black) paper to wet sand your light woods. Does nasty things to the pores that even repeated solvent wipes can't reverse. If you're going to wet sand and slurry fill, use pumice and some oil. Cut coats of your final finish are a great way to seal, and shellac, with its grain-swelling water will make a good base faster than oil/resin finishes alone. You can use SiC paper after a good seal, but there are other options with less surprise potential.

Back