• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finish for bowl

I just turned a nice little African Mahogony bowl that I would like to use for a soup bowl or cereal bowl. What finish would be best for this, I do like the look of tung oil. Is tung oil food safe? Thanks for the advice.

To finish or not to finish....

Pure Tung oil is food safe but the solvents used in the tung oil finishes are not! So either use Multiple thin coats of 100% tung oil (you can mix it with a citrus oil to thin it) or use walnut oil. The problem with walnut oil is that it does not dry so it will wear off and you will have to keep applying coats. I use tung oil for pretty much everything. Mixed with turpentine for non food use and either pure or with a little citrus oil for food uses.

You can also just rub a little beeswax on it and buff. As long as you wash and dry the bowl after use it should hold up to many years of use.

formby's tung oil

So I take it that if I use Formby's tung oil finish it cannot be labled as "food safe". I will be putting my pieces up for sale at local art and craft fair soon and want to know how to label some of the turnings.

All cured finishes are indigestible, so use any you want. Walnut oil is a curing oil, just as "pure tung" oil is. Don't use the stuff with the preservatives in it if you buy walnut oil from the market, though. Takes forever to cure. OTOH, people recommend mineral oil, which never cures, and soft wax, so take your choice. For those who aren't already convinced, I reference the following again. http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/21cfrv3_03.html

The insecticides and fungicides that give your Khaya sp. "African mahogany" its durability are probably more likely to be a concern that what you use to try to isolate them from the contents.

Back