• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finally hit the on switch

I made a curvy thing! And produced a mess of hamster chips, all from a 6" piece of poplar from Lowe's! So many shavings! Like giving a teaspoon of applesauce to a baby. One has to wonder where all that came from. Don't know what to do with the thing but I made it.
20230102_165426.jpgI got to try the roughing gouge, the scraper, the parting tool, spindle gouge and the skew. As expected the skew was the most finicky of the group and I had a few small catches. But when I paid more attention to what it wanted it made a nice smooth surface.
Lots of practice ahead.
I need to buy the smaller spindle gouge. My tool set only came with this giant 3/4" one.

Last edited:
You'll have even more fun if you find your local turner's club and join it.
There are two clubs, one in Glendale and one in Palmdale. The next is on the 21st. Looking forward to it!
I've also started watching Rocky Mountain turners on You Tube. They film all their meetings which is really handy. But nothing takes the place of in person.

Back