• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Filling crack in a bowl

Website
www.simoli.net
I've been working on a bloodwood bowl today and ran into a new issue for me, the bowl has a crack in it. I hollowed it out as far as I trust and now it's time to fill the crack. I thought I would use CA but wondered what exactly I need to do. I know that CA doesn't dry normally on an open surface, so do I just need to hit it with some accelerator? Since I haven't done this yet I want to make sure I don't kill my little project.

filling crack

one thing that i do to fill crack is use some paste wax to cover area adjacent to crack that might get ca glue on it from overfill

i read this on another thread on this forum and it works :D

I do one of two things. I fill the crack with sawdust from sanding the bowl. I then use thin CA on it if the crack is not to big. I take a gouge to it to smooth it out then go thru the sanding routine. If it is a larger crack I will mix the sanding dust in with epoxy and fill the crack. I then take a few swipes at it with the gouge and then go thru the sanding routine as usual. Works for me.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Depending upon the size of the crack I will use West System epoxy and finely ground coffee (large cracks and voids). For smaller I use CA and a filler- usually black Inlace powder or brass bits. I sometimes will use either black or brown CA depending upon the look I want. I have never been very happy with using the sawdust as a filler mainly because it really doesn't hide the crack. The spot always looks like a crack I am trying to hide and couldn't.

Back