• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fail at 1350 RPM

For sure, that tenon is not made correctly. One, it does not have a dove tail to match the dove tail on the chuck jaws. Two, it isn't wide enough, and should be another inch or so wider. Three, it is way too deep, which has it bottoming out in the chuck, and there is no contact with the shoulder of the bowl, so the leverage point is where the jaws meet the chuck.

Now, as for a recess, which is what I use 99.99% of the time, it will hold equally well as any tenon if it is made correctly, which is angle to match the chuck jaws, ample size for the bowl being turned, and ample shoulder for the jaws to expand into.

I have never understood the concept that a recess wastes more wood than a tenon. If the tenon and recess both measure 1/8 inch deep/tall, and you turn it off, they are exactly the same...

robo hippy

From looking at Bill's cropped shot there is one more problem. The tenon has too large of a diameter for the jaws and is only in contact in 2 places on each jaw instead of full round contact.

I think all of the advice given is excellent. I also think most will agree that some one on one time, hands on with a mentor will help you move forward as a turner. As has already been suggested, there should be an AAW chapter near you. Most if not all have mentoring programs available.

Back