• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Faceplates for a Grizzly Lathe

I am a new turner and I bought my Grizzly lathe before I really knew anything about the tool. The lathe I have is a G0584 with a 1" x 12 TPI headstock spindle which is apparently non-standard.

I want to get a 3" or 4" faceplate (Grizzly only has a 6"). I've found that a 3/4" pipe flange fits, but only grips about 1/3 of the way down the spidle and I'm not sure that I trust it.

Does anyone know of a source for a 3" or 4" diameter 1" x 12 TPI faceplate or macine nuts that I can use for sanding jigs?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

John

Thanks for the info

Thank you both for the information, I really appreciate it.

Face plate

When I needed face plates for my old Rigid I simply went to Ace Hardware and got a fistfull of hex nuts that fit, then went to a metal punching shop, got an armload of punchouts (kingsize slugs) that ran 4" to 8" for a buck or two. Took my trove home, fired up the welder, then screwed them one at a time on lathe, used a metal cutting file, trued them up. Then drilled screw holes.....ended up with about 12 faceplates for under $10.....oh yeah..pipe flanges (and all pipe threaded stuff are tapered threads, and a very poor grade of steel!!!!) NOT SAFE AT ANY SPEED!!

Last edited:
Back