• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Essential PM3520B tool: Kubota Tractor with fork lift

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Arrived at a turning buddy's house just as he was pulling away from a FastFreight semi with a big box forked on the front of his Kubota tractor, heading up the hill to his shop. His Mustard Monster had arrived and he was grinning from ear to ear.

Here are some pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jerhall95945/3520BDelivery

I am stilling waiting for the day when i can afford the Monster and in the mean time I ponder how I will get it into the shop. May have to call in several favors from friends with strong backs.

3520's Big Brother

I took delivery of my new 4224 about a 6 weeks ago it was another month before I actually had it home and running as I had to re-arrange things and get wiring done. YAHOO!!! IT IS GREAT!!!

The only scary part was when they delivered it. I had it delivered to where I work so I could store it until I was ready for it. The big monster came on a very weakly constructed pallet. While unloading it the only thing that kept it from completely folding in the middle was heavy duty cardboard box that was banded to the pallet covering the lathe. :eek: I was suprised that PM would ship something that heavy and expect a 2x4 laid flat to hold the weight :confused: Our forklift isnt the biggest but was more than adequate and the tongs were all the way out to the ends.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
WODAD,

Yeah, their packaging for shipping leaves something to be desired. I had to return mine due to the controller being crushed in shipping. An extra two weeks before the new one came. Worth it in the end, but frustrating until it was fully resolved. PM did stand behind their product. I would definitely buy from them again, but man do I wish they would send it in a crate instead. A wood pallet and double cardboard just doesn't cut it.

shipping

My One way 1640 (750#) came on a pallet, and other things. Then we undressed it in the garage, my neighbor came with his Kabota and fork tongs and brought it to the bulkhead. 3 guys and a safety rope tied around a tree skid it down the steps on the pallet, across the basement floor and into the shop area. The pallet held up well, did scratch up the paint on the cement floor. It was made of oak. Different pallets are made diff. Maybe they shipped with a whimpy one. :D Gretch

Sky

Mustard Heaven

I got my Mustard Delight as a floor model when our Woodcraft store closed seven years ago. Serial # is 00077. A senior member of our club helped me get it to my shop and set it up. When all components are taken off (headstock, tailstock, banjo, legs) it is easily moved by two people. I have an old A/C lift which puts it in back of my truck in one piece when I need.

jeffnreno said:
I wish I had a tractor - you thing Santa will be bringing them this year?

Santa brought my nieghbor one last year, the only thing better than owning one is having a good neighbor with one. Then he has to store, fix, and pay for it! :cool2: I just borro as needed.

Pm3520b

For those of you who have had this model PM delivered or picked it up at a local delivery spot can you tell me if it will fit in a 6 1/2 foot pickup bed equipped with a tarneau cover? Or will the cover need to be removed?

thanks
Tony

Website
www.woodturningguild.com
It will fit in the 6-1/2, I don't know what your head room is on your cover. You can always drop it on it's side :eek:
By the way if you have a strong back and weak friends you can unload, move and set up one of these by yourself. I had mine dropped in the driveway and I took it apart, moved it to the backyard and down into my basement shop, and set it up all by myself :D

tdemasi said:
For those of you who have had this model PM delivered or picked it up at a local delivery spot can you tell me if it will fit in a 6 1/2 foot pickup bed equipped with a tarneau cover? Or will the cover need to be removed?

thanks
Tony

Tony

I have the Jet 1642, which is smaller than the PM3520B. Even it wouldn't fit under my toneau. Unless you unpack it and take it off the pallet, it should fit in the back but uncovered.

Paul

Fit in pickup?

Tony,
It will probably (based on my Jet 1642) fit lengthwise in the 6-1/2 foot bed, but you will need to lose the cover, as the box is about 2-1/2 feet tall.

I just stumbled onto this thread, it brings back memories from, oh, about 96 hours ago. :cool2: I brought my 3520B home on my Chevy 6.5' truck. No forklift for me! I unloaded it in a low-tech way--1/2" pvc pipe sections used as rollers. Rolled it down the ramps and across the floor. Only time I had to have help was in lifting the bed and standing it up after mounting the legs. Sure is a sweet looking machine and I hope this is only the beginning of a long and fruitful journey! :)

This is a helpfull post for me .I ordered the mustard monster this morning. I don't have a kubota, but I have 300 pound monster buddy that will lift when I kick'im in the ribs, hope this is good enough.

Back