• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

End grain tools

Looking for advice on end grain cutters, CS has a cup and a Berger (?) for end grain work. Anyone use these? Most of my end grain work will be on birch and cherry. thanks!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I still just use a bowl gouge with swept back wings. I have a ring tool and have made a hook tool and I do like them for some cuts but find myself going back to the bowl gouge most often.
Mark StLeger recommended using and round end mill cutter. I plan to buy one for my metal lathe and when I get it will try it out on wood just to see how it works. It's not very different, as far as the cut is concerned, from the berger tool.

I picked up a set of kelton hollowers about 3 weeks ago. They seem to work pretty well. I am still getting used to them. I know when I do find the sweet spot they cut really well. I have been using them mostly on end grain walnut hollow forms. I also have the Sorby hollow master (straight version). It is good for smaller stuff.

Jeff

The round cup cutter works pretty well. Cross between a gouge and a scraper, or a termite and a round nose. Bugger to sharpen, so reserve for final end-grain cleanup. Strangely enough, the round carbide cutters I scarfed from my machine-shop neighbor worked great, too. They've got a cove around the perimeter for peeling, which may be where the cup came from.

Yet with all those choices I still go to the termite or the fingernail grind for bottoming. Pointed gouge for hollowing.

I'm a recent convert to hook tools for end grain hollowing. Sharpened and shaped, they basically give you a bowl gouge that is angled to cut from the center out in an end grain setting. It's truly amazing how clean and large a shaving you can get, how you can ride the bevel, and how clean a surface you can get. And with no more force applied to the tool than you would a bowl gouge on side grain.

Dietrich

An associate demonstrated a tool very much like this one http://www.turningtools.co.uk/shop1/turntols/ringtool/ringtool.html to me recently and had nothing but praises for it's performance. I haven't used one so can't defend his report. But maybe it's what you're looking for. It looks to me to be much the same as the termite tool but uses a simple Allen head screw to hold the cutting cup in place.

Last edited:
Great guys, I think the jury is still out and will need to see em in action I guess, I will wait and see ( this spring )if the Guild in Spokane has anyone using either and go from there. There is a lot said for both. I currently use a spindle gouge reground with the wings way back and on its side to clean up tear out but in small boxs it is really tough to get the angle and the 60 " grit " gouge wins out.... :eek: I have several " mills" from my machinist days and may try one of the ball mills out, work great for thimbels , never thought about for end grain tho.Thanks again!!!

Ring Tool

Hi Chips
I found the 1"ring tool by Hamlet is Great for finish cuts on end Grain.
Hook tools are good for roughing out but the ring tool gives a better finish.
I also got a 1/2" ring tool for smaller turnings this works well to.
Last month a fellow club member and myself gave a demo on club night useing Hook and ring tools.
We set up two lathes one with him useing Hook tools,me on the other lathe useing the ring tool. We both talked about the tools and then showed how to use them. Then we got other members to come and try out the differant tools for themselfs. It was a good evening.
The general conclusion was that the hook tool is best used for roughing out, then use the ring tool for finish cuts.
I have managed to make finish cuts with the ring tool that need little sanding.
Nigel

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
nuturner said:
An associate demonstrated a tool very much like this one http://www.turningtools.co.uk/shop1/turntols/ringtool/ringtool.html to me recently and had nothing but praises for it's performance.
I use a Termite ring tool and it cuts great when the shavings are passing through the ring and cuts not so good if the shaving jam up in the ring. How does a cup cutter work with no "pass through" hole? Or do the shavings not cause a problem because it lacks a hole to get jammed up?

I'm always looking for an excuse to try another tool ;)

Back