• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

EEE Ultra shine

The solvent for the shellac is alcohol, but the same exposure to air which allowed the alcohol to evaporate probably started the modification of the shellac. You can thin and try on something you don't love, but it might be sticky for a long time.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm Shows it to be a wax/shellac emulsion with buffing compound added.

The wax itself is thinned by mineral spirits, but it should still flow pretty well under friction. So if gummy, shellac, if not, mineral spirits. As always, moderation.

Last edited:
Website
www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Micro wax...

Hello Phil,

I use a good micro-crystalline wax to rejuvenate my EEE Ultra Shine when it becomes too viscous. I simply scoop the EEE out of the container and mix it up with a small scoop of Renaissance Wax or similar with an old potato masher. Then I replace it into the container and reseal the lid.

If necessary, I thin it a wee bit, using White Spirit, Stoddard Solvent or odorless Mineral Spirits, EEE-US contains (CAS 8052-41-3). Don't add too much though, or it will become runny and it will be difficult to apply. Less is more here, so add a wee bit a t a time until the viscosity is acceptable to you. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Back