• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust Collection System

Looking for suggestions for a dust collection system for my small shop. Has anyone had experience or any luck with a system attached to a lathe? Appreciate the input. gb-deer park, tx

Remember that at best it is a DUST collection system and not a flying chip collection at all. I have seen all kinds of systems but most rely on a 4" hose connected to some sort collection piece, either home made or commercially made plastic ones, and mounted with some sort of homemade attachment. I have one of the plastic models connected to my DC, I made it adjustable laterally and also in distance from the work piece. Mine is mounted slightly below center in the back. I don't always run it when turning unless the wood is extremly dry, but I always use it when sanding. It only really grabs to dust, and what few chips manage to get into it. I also use a Trend Airshield face mask all the time and an air-cleaner that runs all the time.

I don't know what percentage of real chips actually gets in the DC, but I know it is small. Most ends up on my feet, which is fine, but most of the real dangerous dust does go into the DC.

Website
www.perfectwoodworks.com
Ditto the last reply. I have a 4" hose that I just clamp to the lathe bed when I'm turning. If a significant amount of wood chips gets into it, the I have trouble. They usually get clogged around the impeller guard, and causes a decrease in suction. Plus it makes the bag fill up too fast, and I hate changing the bag. :mad:

However, this can be remedied with a knockout can. They're advertised in most of the turning catalogs. It's a lid that fits on top of either a 5 gallon can or a large trash can. There's 2 ports. The suction hose from the DC fits on one side and the tool hose fits onto the other. If large chips get sucked into the hose, they fall into the can before going to the DC bag. Creates a cyclone effect and the heavier particles fall out.

Gravity is good if you don't try to fight it, as so many commercial items seem to do. I currently use a steel dryer vent with hardware cloth over the opening for bowls. Allows quick magnetic mounting/dismounting on the lathe bed in lower front or rear to catch dust from outside or in. Inside usually needs help, of course, especially with undercut patterns. If you find it more convenient to use heating ducts with the proper shape to mount to your particular system, you can easily do it, with the warning that the larger your opening, the less efficient at grabbing dust at a distance. If you collect broadly, be close.

Don't even bother about shavings. Those huge balls of excelsior that fall off the toolrest when paring inside jam things up instantly, as do the floppy long shavings from wet woods that bridge the gap on the hose. I've adjusted my tool angles to where I can drop a large proportion of my shavings into the bag in front of the lathe when working outside, and I scoop them up from the table, backed by a wall, where they are propelled when working deeper inside. Keeps this old fat guy from grunting too much as he cleans up.

As to particular equipment, I've got a rollaround Delta similar to the JET DC-TS650 http://www.jettools.com/shop/index.cfm?navPage=4&iid=11785&vid=1 that I find very useful in a small shop. Small footprint, and always a short run from the collection point with no need to try and lift stuff up to the ceiling piping against gravity. Allows me to run both the lathe and the collector on the same 20A circuit too. They never draw much once the wind up. PSI sells a setup which would allow you to make one of your own should you care to.

Back