• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

drive belt for jet 1442vs

Well the good news is the drive belt for the Jet 1442vs costs $4.98 , now thats not bad but it is going to cost another $20.00 dollars to ship from Jet .

This 4 times the cost of the belt itself. :confused:

There must be another source for the belt

There nothing special about the Jet drive belt other than the aditional shipping cost.

Any help on this matter certainly would be welcome (like actual belt replacement size and such) :confused: :confused:

The shipping can't cost more the $2 so I guess you're getting $18 worth of handling. That's pretty ridiculous.

Option 1: Call whoever sold you the lathe and find out what they can do for you.

Option 2: Jet technical support has been very responsive and helpful the times I've talked with them. I'll bet they would be willing to give you the specs for the belt and maybe even suggest alternative sources. Maybe you can use a link belt or something like that (I don't know with the Reeves drive).

Please post how this ends up for you. I'll probably be looking for the same belt later this year.

Good Luck.

Ed

Roy, I'm not familiar with what type belt they use for the Jet lathe (flat, ribbed, "v", etc.) but I'm confident that if you took a sample belt to a Napa auto parts outlet they could do a pretty good job of matching it for you.
From the Jet Part No. (VB-M25) I'd guess it's a 25 inch V belt with a specific profile which is coded in there somewhere but I can't figure that out.
Give it shot.
You might also try W.W. Grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml)

Last edited:
Jet 1442vs Belt

The last time I went to the site of the WMH Tool Group, which is parent of Jet, they had a listing of where to buy parts. There were many national companies of one sort of another, and while the list is rarely as up-to-date as they would have you believe, with a few phone calls you can usually find someone local to order your parts. My experience with Grainger has been less than helpful but they were at the top of the list. Good luck and you should be able to save $15 more or less.
:D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
roy knapp said:
Well the good news is the drive belt for the Jet 1442vs costs $4.98 , now thats not bad but it is going to cost another $20.00 dollars to ship from Jet .

This 4 times the cost of the belt itself. :confused:

There must be another source for the belt

There nothing special about the Jet drive belt other than the aditional shipping cost.

Any help on this matter certainly would be welcome (like actual belt replacement size and such) :confused: :confused:
If you will look at your owners manual, the belt size is given -- it is a 3V250 which is a very common belt size that you can get at almost any place that has an assortment of belts. This is a size that is very common on lawnmowers, tillers, edgers, snowblowers and a host of other small machines that run on small gasoline engines. I'll bet that you can find it at most hardware stores, auto parts stores, Lowes, Home Depot, lawnmower repair shops, etc.

The size 3V is a typical small machine V belt and 250 indicates that it is 25.0 inches in circumference. If I rember correctly, you mentioned on one of the other forums where you posted this question that yours is a notched belt. You can get the belt in a number of styles: solid, notched, raw edges, or wrapped. The notched version is a bit more flexible and would be slightly better on small pulleys.

Bill

I had to get a new belt for my JET Mini.I found one at < Bandousa.com >
you can get their online catalog and pick one out and pick it up at one of there distribuators or have them mail it to you. Good luck
Doug Nesbitt Brevard NC

Back