• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Do you collect other turners work?

I'm curious how many turners on this site collect other turners work? I've just recently started interacting with other turners and I've noticed that some will pay good money for work by fellow artists while others wouldn't dream of it.

I've been slowly trying to build a collection of work by other artists I find inspiring. Generally I end up with more utilitarian pieces due to the high cost of the more abstract or ornamental works but I definitely have a wish list.

I'm looking for a little inspiration and I thought a good way to do it would be to see whose work turns the proverbial crank of the folks on this site. I would be much obliged if the fellow turners who are also collectors would share their thoughts on whose work they would love to add to their collections by providing names, images or links. I think this could be fun and educational by seeing what type of work other turners would actually purchase.

...for example I am absolutely in awe of this series of work by Bill Hunter, even though carving is not my thing this piece in my opinion has it all...nice form, balance and grain.

Attachments

• wHunter2006040116075310_big.jpg
    wHunter2006040116075310_big.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 259

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brujo I would love to collect other turners work. Unless I win the lottery that will never happen. I do have work by some of the artist's I photograph for and some work from other turners in our clubs. I hope I can build a good display case this summer.

Collecting Others Work

I was wondering the same thing recently. I don't know if there is any ettiquite or unspoken rule, but I was hoping to trade pieces with other turners in my local club. There are several artists whose work I admire and respect, but can't really afford to purchase. Has anyone swapped pieces with other turners? While the idea sounds good to me, it might not to a more experienced turner since I don't consider myself to be on their level yet. This should be an interesting thread. I am curious to see how people respond.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Paul Stolarik said:
I was wondering the same thing recently. I don't know if there is any ettiquite or unspoken rule, but I was hoping to trade pieces with other turners in my local club. There are several artists whose work I admire and respect, but can't really afford to purchase. Has anyone swapped pieces with other turners? While the idea sounds good to me, it might not to a more experienced turner since I don't consider myself to be on their level yet. This should be an interesting thread. I am curious to see how people respond.
So far, I have pieces from Bonnie Klein (in plastic), Alan Lacer (just plain ole' maple box), Johannes Michaelson (mini hat), Ron Pessolano (hollow forms) Rick Angus (NICE show turned apple bowl) Paul Petrie (unfinished show turned collaboration) and "big John" (show turned box). I like turnings. The plastic piece from Bonnie Klein is also engine turned, the only one that is not "just plain turning." If I hadn't traded for most of this stuff, I couldn't afford it, and I definitely can't afford MOST of the segmented stuff that I like.
I didn't trade turning for turning, I traded wood (which I also sell) and in one case, a carved ivory hook I did. Sounds like it could work though. One of the secrets to a "successful" life is: You MUST Ask. No may be the answer, but if you DON'T ask, no IS the answer.
"Is there anything that I have that you would consider trading for a piece of your work?" might be an opening question.

I've yet to trade a turning for a turning but I have traded turnings for other pieces of art.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
Some of the forums have turn and trade, but the turner you receive something from may be a beginner or may not. WoodCentral had one back in January. I've seen others as a trade and challenge also.

Whoever puts it on, can have a lot of work getting everyone to send in pictures and make sure things have been shipped out.

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I don't consider myself an advanced turner but I also would be willing to trade pieces. I often search through the member gallery looking for inspriation. i am currently creating a piece inspired by one of N_Addy pieces. I have also built a few much simpler versions of pieces inspired by Curt Theobald and Malcolm Tibbetts

I feel it is important to give credit to the turner whos work inspired my pieces. As orginial ideas in wood turning are few and far between. Chances are the piece you made has alrady been simillary done by someone else.

I have started collecting on a small scale. Maybe one or two pieces a year, some functional some artistic. I have only 2 pieces from a known(Professional) turner but I always look for what I like and see if I can afford it. As to trading. I participated in the trade over at woodcentral and it was a great experience. I have wondered before about trading with individuals but am a little too shy to ask someone if they are intersested in trading but it is a good idea if two people admire the others work and are interested.
stacey

Hey Cypher,

Thanks for the link to Curt Theobald's gallery. I was not familiar with his work. Untill I moved to Northern California and started getting access to big burls all I did was segmented work. My head is now spining with new ideas!

I tried to buy a very small Molly Winton piece at the AAW auction last year. I was waving my arms trying to get a bid in unitl they blew by twice my limit, so I sat down. Nothing purchased yet from a nationally known artist.

I have a few piece that I made in classes where famous pro's helped so I keep those as rememberences but they are really my work.

Try trading wood with some guys. I have a freind on another site who while not famous is an outstanding turner. We have batted around the idea of slabbing a log in half and trading the results. I think we would both enjoy that.

Frank

Collecting...

I don't actively collect others turnings, but I do like to acquire pieces I have seen turned in a demo. I have several pieces from the likes of Al Stirt, Ray Key, Rolly Munro, Nick Cook, Ernie Conover, Stuart Batty, among others. Most are signed as demo pieces but I like them a lot. And it's different than collecting finished pieces which I could never afford.

I have only traded a few times and not for turnings but other craft work. Doesn't hurt to ask as George said. :D

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
OK, I'll Ask...

Don O. Jr. said:
I don't actively collect others turnings, but I do like to acquire pieces I have seen turned in a demo. I have several pieces from the likes of Al Stirt, Ray Key, Rolly Munro, Nick Cook, Ernie Conover, Stuart Batty, among others. Most are signed as demo pieces but I like them a lot. And it's different than collecting finished pieces which I could never afford.

I have only traded a few times and not for turnings but other craft work. Doesn't hurt to ask as George said. :D
How about it Don? Want to trade something?

Not to dance the topic, but you may consider doing a co-op project with a specific turner whose work you find "inspirational". This may be a way to obtain a piece of their creativity and also share some of your own.

I don't have anything posted, and am a hobbiest at best, but I would love to do a co-op project with someone more experienced just to learn a few tricks of the trade...

Back