• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

DIY indexing using a Vicmarc chuck?

One of my woodturning students has a MC900-type lathe, i.e. with no hand wheel on the left side of the spindle dock.
Her chuck is a Vicmarc100, and I *know* that years ago, I saw different DIY stop mechanisms used for indexing, but I can't seem to find them againg. Perhaps I use the wrong search phrases...

Can anyone here help with a link or a photo?

TIA, Lars

Vic_index.jpg

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I will try to post some photos. May have to stop and resize them. I make an index pin that has a point that fits in the Vicmarc and all my other index wheels. It is a springy arm that can be rotated so it works in both sets of holes in my chuck and also fits in my various index wheels. I simply sharpen a rod about 3/16" to a point using my drill and my grinder. Grind the tip down like a pencil tip. Then heat and bend the rod about 1/2" or so from the point. Now make a base that has a slot in it so it's adjustable and clamps to your lathe bed. drill a 3/16" hole in the wood and insert the rod with some thin CA. Before the glue totally sets up twist the rod with a pair of pliers. This makes a very snug fit but will allow you to twist the point into any position you need. Then I simply try it out in my various index wheels or chucks and file the sharp tip down until it fits. The small holes in the back of the Vicmarc are the tiniest. The Ironfire index wheel is next in size and the Chefwarekits index wheel has the largest holes. It fits in them all. I thought I wrote an article or tip for one of the magazines but having trouble finding it. Yep did have to change the size so here they are. I found it. It is in American Woodturner vol 34-4 page 24 and 25. Short article and I may have covered most of it in what I wrote above.

Attachments

• Wooden index pin lock copy copy.jpg
    Wooden index pin lock copy copy.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 109
  • locking into the back of chuck copy copy.jpg
    locking into the back of chuck copy copy.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 109
  • locking into side of chuck copy copy.jpg
    locking into side of chuck copy copy.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Absolutely super! Tanks, John, just what I was looking for and with comments, too!
The lady asked me a few hours ago and now question plus answer have travelled around 9.000 miles back to her.
Still impressed with the power of the internet.

Lars

Absolutely super! Tanks, John, just what I was looking for and with comments, too!
The lady asked me a few hours ago and now question plus answer have travelled around 9.000 miles back to her.
Still impressed with the power of the internet.

Lars
I can’t imagine how easy if is to be in school these days. I had to travel by bus to a university library and take the whole day searching books for info for an assignment. Now push a button and it’s there!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Here is another homemade version. I find this really handy when you want a number of indexs that aren't on you wheel. It's also really handy for sanding natural edge bowls with the lathe turned off. You simply move the bowl where you want and lock it down and then sand.

Attachments

• Photo 7 Home made index wheel copy.jpg
    Photo 7 Home made index wheel copy.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 42
My PM 3520 has a 48 position electronic indexing function on the control box. I just made a stool and wanted to divide the top into three (120°) sections to mark positions to bore for the legs. I discovered that the indexer has a couple of degrees of slop between each stop. Not critical for this function, but I wound up refining it with a protractor. This indexer (above) looks foolproof!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You must be talking about a 3520C. or maybe a B. I have a 3520A and it doesn't have indexing but over the years I have purchased 3 different index wheels. I did a review for More Woodturning magazine before it closed down. I may be able to send a copy to someone if I can figure out how to do it. I have the Ironfire now sold by Flutemaster. I have the Alisam and the chefwarekits. My favorite is the Chefwarekits but all 3 have different index positions and sometimes need to use one of the other 2 to get what I need.

Here is another homemade version. I find this really handy when you want a number of indexs that aren't on you wheel. It's also really handy for sanding natural edge bowls with the lathe turned off. You simply move the bowl where you want and lock it down and then sand.
This is the type of indexer I use for laying out the pattern on my basket illusion pieces. I use a free online app for printing out the polar graph paper https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/polar/ , glue the graph to a round disc of 1/4" masonite with a 1 1/8" hole in the center to fit over the spindle. You can print out infinite polar graphs, I think I have 15 or 20 now ranging from 64 to 150 lines.

This is the type of indexer I use for laying out the pattern on my basket illusion pieces. I use a free online app for printing out the polar graph paper https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/polar/ , glue the graph to a round disc of 1/4" masonite with a 1 1/8" hole in the center to fit over the spindle. You can print out infinite polar graphs, I think I have 15 or 20 now ranging from 64 to 150 lines.
Incompetch is great site for custom making graph paper with any scaling you need. I've used it for years. You can print many different types of graph paper -- I've probably used half a dozen types, including polar, triangular, squared, axiometric, circle grid, various dot patterns, hexagonal, diamonds, and yet other grids. I haven't bought graph paper in years, but use a good number of sheets almost every month, custom printed for designing specific projects.

Back