• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dennis Dibala

I just found the AAW and joined the forum. I got back into turning a few years ago after a long time away from the hobby. I started back in the late 1960s on a Craftsman lathe that belonged to my dad. It was mostly spindle turning making candle holders, salt shakers, lamps and such. I did make a few replacement spindle parts for some furniture my dad was repairing. We didn't have the faceplate so when I turned lamp bases and such, I had to make it as a spindle and part it off.

One of the biggest differences between back then and when I got back into turning is the quality of the turning tools. When I decided to get back into it, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it so I just went and bought the small bench-top lathe and tool set from Harbor Freight. I muddled through and made a couple of small bowls and boxes. That told me I wanted to explore more possibilities so back to Harbor Freight for their larger lathe.

I have to store my lathe in the garage and roll it out to my carport for turning. I also picked up a dust collector from them and made a chip separator from a 50 gallon plastic drum.I used the HF lathe for a couple of years, even doing some larger size outboard turnings. That the outboard turning showed me the limitations of the HF lathe so while on sale, I picked up a Laguna 18/36 , adding the wheel set and lathe bed extension kit.

I look forward to learning lots from you more experienced members here.

Here is a lighthouse I turned from spalted Ash. I bored a hole all the way through and use a light in the base to illuminate the crystal. It stands 14" tall and is 4.5" diameter at the widest.

FB_IMG_1608130265087.jpg FB_IMG_1608130254414.jpg

A hollow form from Western Cedar. It is around 6" diameter.

FB_IMG_1608130389184.jpg

Some bracelets I made from spalted White Oak.

FB_IMG_1608130554883.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Dennis,

Welcome to the forum! I joined a few years ago and have been glad that I did. Lots of great people here, as you'll soon find out.

Mark

FB_IMG_1608130489567.jpg

A vase from spalted Pecan. It is around 8" tall and 6" diameter.

I never buy wood. Part of the adventure for me is taking a log and seeing what nature put inside waiting for me to bring out.

I do have a facebook page, dib's wood chips (hope it is OK to put that here.)

Just went to your Facebook page. I like your segmented ornaments and trees.

Thanks Mark. I'm definately still learning.

The Red Cedar is from a long dead tree on my property that I recently took down and the Ash is from one that recently blew down in a windstorm. Cutting the strips of Red Cedar on my bandsaw took quite a while because I had to scrap a lot of it due to Carpenter Bee holes. They really love Red Cedar to make their bore hole nests.

The trunk of the tree is around 3' diameter and I plan to try and cut some slabs of it for a table, that is if I can get enough good wood from it. I don't know if you have ever worked with it but Red Cedar is a strange wood. After cutting pieces of it, you can stand there and hear it cracking.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thanks Mark. I'm definately still learning.

The Red Cedar is from a long dead tree on my property that I recently took down and the Ash is from one that recently blew down in a windstorm. Cutting the strips of Red Cedar on my bandsaw took quite a while because I had to scrap a lot of it due to Carpenter Bee holes. They really love Red Cedar to make their bore hole nests.

The trunk of the tree is around 3' diameter and I plan to try and cut some slabs of it for a table, that is if I can get enough good wood from it. I don't know if you have ever worked with it but Red Cedar is a strange wood. After cutting pieces of it, you can stand there and hear it cracking.

Nice to have access to a variety of woods. Here in bayou country, it's cypress and pine, pine, pine. Or live oak which nobody in their right mind cuts down unless they have to. :)

Well then, just for you Reed, here is my introduction copied from the introductions forum. But I won't duplicate the pictures I posted there of a couple of my completed projects. I do have a website if interested: www.dibswoodchips.com

i just found the AAW and joined the forum. I got back into turning a few years ago after a long time away from the hobby. I started back in the late 1960s on a Craftsman lathe that belonged to my dad. It was mostly spindle turning making candle holders, salt shakers, lamps and such. I did make a few replacement spindle parts for some furniture my dad was repairing. We didn't have the faceplate so when I turned lamp bases and such, I had to make it as a spindle and part it off.
One of the biggest differences between back then and when I got back into turning is the quality of the turning tools. When I decided to get back into it, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it so I just went and bought the small benchtop lathe and tool set from Harbor Freight. I muddled through and made a couple of small bowls and boxes. That told me I wanted to explore more possibilities so back to Harbor Freight for their larger lathe.

I have to store my lathe in the garage and roll it out to my carport for turning. I also picked up a dust collector from them and made a chip seperator from a 50 gallon plastic drum.I used the HF lathe for a couple of years, even doing some larger size outboard turnings. That the outboard turning showed me the limitatjons of the HF lathe so while on sale, I picked up a Laguna 18/36 , adding the wheel set and lathe bed extension kit.

I look forward to learning lots from you more experienced members here.

Thanks Gerald, having you experts say you like any of my turnings is a real compliment.

For the light, to make it portable, I drilled a hole that accepts the little LED flashlights from harbor freight, they are about 1" diameter and maybe 2.5" long. They often have coupons to get them free with another purchase. I thought about finding one with a power supply that could be plugged in but kind of like battery powered so it can be put anywhere. I also have lots of old phone chargers and thought about just converting the battery powered light to 120v with the converter/charger. But it may also depend on how the facets on your crystal are cut.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Dennis, welcome aboard. I will merge your two threads together.

And, Reed, please consider reading the new member threads in the Introductions forum. It's a great opportunity to meet and greet some really nice folks.

Back