• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Delta 46-715

Last week I bought a lathe off Craig's list. It was listed as like new and it certainly was. I spend the weekend going over it and trying to read up on it. It's a type 2. It appears factory grease all over it except for the tops of the bed. The banjo and tail stock didn't want to slide very well unless loose. I took them back off. The bottom was quite rough on the banjo so I lapped the bottom with a 600 diamond stone. It now slides very smooth. Next the tail stock. Very poorly milled.. I had to use a large file to gently remove a lot of the high spots and then lapped with the 600 stone. I then lightly lapped the top of the bed and removed some burrs along the edges. I cleaned and oiled everything with 3 in 1 oil. My brother helped put the headstock on last Sat. The back won't allow me to take it back off to check for problems until I can get him back to help. I put the centers in the head and tail stock. They align perfect vertically. But when I lock the headstock down the headstock center tip drifts to the right by about 1/32" reguardless where I pre position it. Being a wood lathe is that acceptable?? Since this lathe has a Reeves pulley , something I never heard of, it seems it's only a matter time till it fails. I've read where it should be lubed with a stiff Silicone grease. I opened up the back of the head stock today and the lube appears dry. The only thing in the manual is how to change belts. I was thinking of taking the parts off and lube under the moving part of each pulley. Is this the right approach??? Does/will the Silicone grease collect dust?? What else would you suggest I do. ?? When the cover came off there was only a little black dust, I guess from the belt. I haven't turned this thing on yet so would like to hear it run. Along with the lathe I got a SuperNova 2 chuck. It was also new. At first I'd like to get set up to do some small spindles. and then see where to go from there. I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks, Ray

Reeves drives are almost gone as far as lathes are concerned because of just what you asked and they are subject to breakage and lack of parts. Now as to lubrication I would not suggest silicone in a wood shop. Look for a dry lube CRC Power Lub or a teflon spray is also good. You need to spray the shafts on the pullies of both motor and the spindle . Not necessary to remove any parts to do this just do it regularly. I usually did this when changing speeds got stiff. Sorry I cannot help on alignment

Reeves drives are almost gone as far as lathes are concerned because of just what you asked and they are subject to breakage and lack of parts. Now as to lubrication I would not suggest silicone in a wood shop. Look for a dry lube CRC Power Lub or a teflon spray is also good. You need to spray the shafts on the pullies of both motor and the spindle . Not necessary to remove any parts to do this just do it regularly. I usually did this when changing speeds got stiff. Sorry I cannot help on alignment
Thanks for the reply Gerald. I checked what lubes I have on hand and I have a CRC Dry Moly Lube. Says a dry film ideal for Hi Temp and Pressure. Glad you said not necessary to remove parts, Thanks, Ray

Ray, I imagine the amount of rust you found and the filing and lapping you had to do may account for that 1/32” of misalignment. You could try some kind of shim (a piece of metal flashing?)under the tailstock, but I think I’d let it go, at least as long it took me first to become more familiar with the machine’s personality.
BTW, you live in a beautiful area. Lots of good hardwoods around there. We get up to Catoctin a couple of times a year. Have fun with your new acquisition!

Ray, I imagine the amount of rust you found and the filing and lapping you had to do may account for that 1/32” of misalignment. You could try some kind of shim (a piece of metal flashing?)under the tailstock, but I think I’d let it go, at least as long it took me first to become more familiar with the machine’s personality.
BTW, you live in a beautiful area. Lots of good hardwoods around there. We get up to Catoctin a couple of times a year. Have fun with your new acquisition!
Lou I took the head stock off. The T-Nut has spring loaded ball bearing that detent into holes in the bottom of the head stock. Those holes had big burrs. I removed them and chamfered the holes, this helped some and now satisfied . I guess I needed to get it thru my head that this isn't a metal lathe but a wood lathe. I mainly want to learn/do some spindle work. Gerald suggested Power Lube, I had Moly but got a can of Power Lube . I turned it on and left it run slow advancing the speed slowly . At first the fast speed wasn't working right. Kept spraying the Power Lube and the pulleys are now opening and closing at different speeds. I'm going to just let it run some. The old dried lube just gummed everything up. I Just put the finishing touches to a 20 by 44 Moxon vise for my outfeed table. I added a old wood working vise to the end and I need a handle for it. So when my stuff comes in that will be my first turning. I glued up some strips of wormy chestnut for the handle and 2 blocks for the knobs. Maybe next week. Thanks .

Back