• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deadly fire wood

Quote MM:<Wish me luck today as I bring in a cord of potential death to feed, by degrees into my stove. Though the bark falls off most pieces after a year.>

Since MM brought it up, sort of, every fall I move firewood into my basement/shop for our woodstove. This year I also moved it right back out again, when I discovered powder post beetles had created a condo complex in my stash.

My question is, has anyone experienced this and how did you deal with storing enough wood for more than a day or two inside ? Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Thanks Michael, precisely what I needed. Now I have to bring most of the wood back in. With the temp in the storage area and the length of time it will remain there I doubt it will be a problem. As an added precaution I'll do the borax thing directly above the wood pile and out from it several feet.

Have heated with wood for a lifetime. I store firewood outside, covered. A dedicated shed is best...and one that will allow free air circulation. I just don't want problems with the insects inside. The risk seems too great for my taste.

For inside, I have a small rack that holds a wheelbarrow or two of wood. That is replenished as needed. Since the wood is moved in one wheelbarrow at a time, regardless of the quantity moved in, the amount of work is equivalent.

Have heated with wood for a lifetime. I store firewood outside, covered. A dedicated shed is best...and one that will allow free air circulation. I just don't want problems with the insects inside. The risk seems too great for my taste.

For inside, I have a small rack that holds a wheelbarrow or two of wood. That is replenished as needed. Since the wood is moved in one wheelbarrow at a time, regardless of the quantity moved in, the amount of work is equivalent.

I have in the past(21 yrs.)done the same thing as you describe. But, a couple of snow events and an inopportune illness last heating seasons revealed a flaw in my procedures.:( I now plan on having at least one work-week's worth of fuel in my basement on any given day. Replenishing what we use every couple of days but maintaining a relatively stable supply.

I have in the past(21 yrs.)done the same thing as you describe. But, a couple of snow events and an inopportune illness last heating seasons revealed a flaw in my procedures.:( I now plan on having at least one work-week's worth of fuel in my basement on any given day. Replenishing what we use every couple of days but maintaining a relatively stable supply.

I go one step further. Two weeks supply inside; one drying, one using. Near to the pass-through I keep a dry (covered) reserve of about two weeks hard burn. Even when the snow's four feet deep I can shovel in there and load wood. Just added a bucket on the tractor this year, and am unsure if it will allow me to modify my "emergency" stack situation. One thing nice is that our snow events are, like yours, lake effect, which means relatively warmer temperatures when the snow's piling up. The real cold weather comes with clear air.

Back