• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cutting a bowl blank

Website
www.ctcrafts.com
I'm very new to bowl turning and I have a question. I have several logs of Black Walnut that are about 12" in diameter. Can I turn them just as they are or should I cut them and turn them cross grain? In other words, what would it hurt if I just cut the logs to what ever length I wanted and turned them like they are? They are already pretty round, it wouldn't take much to true them up. Is this a good idea or a bad one? The logs are already dried ready for bowls. Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark Lynch
Countrytime Crafts
Southern Ohio

Website
www.schwingwoodworks.com
Mark, welcome to the sport.

I would guess that greater than 99% of the bowls you see have not been turned "whole log" as you queried, but rather from sections of the log, commonly referred to as face grain orientation.

If you stick the whole log on the lathe, the grain runs parallel to the lathe bed and is referred to as "spindle orientation", because that orientation would offer the best strength for spindle turning.

However, it is quite difficult for bowl turning, and especially for new turners. Cutting end grain is very difficult - even with a chainsaw. Try running your saw down through a log standing on its end - really tough, vs on its side. Your bowl gouges will react the same way. Even when it can be accomplished special techniques (and sometimes tools) are necessary so that you cut "downhill" with the grain vs an uphill struggle. Hollowing the interior of an end/spindle grain bowl can be a very disheartening experience for a new turner.

Sometimes I do turn bowls end grain, but it is rare and only when I have a special figure that I want to present in a special log, like this very striking ambrosia maple log....
151boxelderlarge80k-med.jpg

If that were turned normal/face grain, the streaks would go across the bowl instead of radiating out from the center.

What most people would do with your logs is cut them up in halves, removing the center pith, and then turn bowls from the half sides. It is easier on you, lots easier, and you'll enjoy turning more. I'd suggest that when you get more proficient, you experiment with this type of bowl turning, but for starters use the traditional grain orientation.

Also - no 12" thick black walnut log is dry. It will reach an equillibrium moisture point where it isn't losing anymore, but the interior will remain wet as far as bowl turners are concerned. It will remain wet enough that when you turn it, you will experience the normal distortion and warping that occurs with turning green wood. It is part of the fun, and learning.

Website
www.ctcrafts.com
Thanks Mike!

Thanks Mike. This is great information for me. I will post a picture as soon as I get a bowl turned from this wood. It may be a couple of weeks as the real job comes first. Thanks for all of the information! Beautiful Bowl also!

Mark Lynch
Countrytime Crafts
Southern Ohio

Last edited:
Mike, what a beautiful bowl. I am new to turning and it makes me want to try end grain turning. WOW! I saved the picture and am using it as my desk top picture. Thanks for the example of what can be done when you know what you are doing.

In the back of the book "WOOD TURNING IN NORTH AMERICA SINCE 1930" by Wood Turning Center and Yale Univeristy Art Gallery - is a great discription of how a bowl will look - with grain patterns, etc. I believe Todd Hoyer drew it up. The book can be purchased from the Wood Turning Center (www.woodturningcenter.org) - about $35. This is a great book for any personal library. Check it out.
Hugh

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Another consideration is strength

Another consideration is that endgrain bowls are much more delicate than side grain bowls.

You can prove this to yourself by crosscutting a log section a 1/2 thick with a chain saw and you can snap it in two quite easily.

A 1/2 thick piece rip cut from a log is not as easy to break. If you can break it it would be along the grain axis. You won't see many 1/4 platters turned endgrain

A 12" functional bowl turned engrain needs to be at least 5/8-3/4" to survive use. Most likely a side grain bowl of 3/8" thick will take more of a beating the 5/8" thick end grain bowl.

A bowl from walnut turned endgrain from a log section will have a hole or depression in the pith. Walnut has a chambered pith, it is mostly hollow with fairly thin "chamber" walls every so often.

Also in general endgrain is the least attractive view of the wood. Think of all the effort woodworkers go to no to show engrain in finished piece.

Mike's beautiful maple bowl features a wonderful pattern in the bottom that overcomes a the dullness of the endgrain.

Happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Back