• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cut away form for hollowing

Website
www.turnings.basketryetc.com
Hey all,
I saw a turning dvd in the not so distant past that had the turner cutting away part of a vessel he was hollowing to allow the camera to see what the tool was doing inside where it wouldn't normally be viewable. We're doing a hollowing demo/discussion at our local club and I was wondering if we could use that approach in the demo. However, my trusty brain has let me down yet again and I'm unable to remember who it was or how much of the vessel was cut away to allow for viewing WHILE turning. I'm not talking about something cut in half after the fact to show wall profiles.

I know that Tim Yoder did something to that effect a while ago but it's not he I'm thinking of. Does anyone know the video in question? Or have a link to the video Tim did? How about a photo of said cutaway that may eliminate some rather disastrous experimentation on my part while I try to figure out what I can get away with?:D

Thanx in advance
Jim

Jim,

Mike Mahoney and Richard Raffan, both have videos using that technique for teaching hollowing.

Dale

David said today, use your hollowing tools on a bowl for practice, see what you are doing and see what happens when you turn your tool different ways

Website
www.turnings.basketryetc.com
Jim This may not be it but I did the cutaway vessel thing when demonstrating the Hunter tools.
http://www.hunterwoodturningtool.com/tutorials/video/Hunter tool hollowing 1.mp4

John,
That's what I was looking for. Not the one I remembered but just fine. I was trying to remember how the vessel was cut away to allow the camera to "see through" to the inside. Now I've got something to work with. I think your version is better than the one I saw with only 1/3rd of the piece cut away if I remember correctly.

Any other cut away design ideas would be welcome but this gets me on the right track.

Thanx again

Jim

Website
www.katherinekowalski.com
Jim,
I didn't look at the videos posted, but a technique that I've seen often used was to drill fairly large holes in the wood at least an inch deep. Make sure you drill in a "checkerboard" pattern -- not all in rows, but alternated. With the speed of the lathe, the audience (and camera), will be able to see the motion of the tool.

(Alternatively... you could go through the side of the hollow form! :D That brings some cheers from the audience... and a better view!)

Katherine

Back