• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hill for "" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 17, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Curing Walnut oil using a Kiln

I uses a variety of finishes, lacquer, Danish oil, wipe on poly. I also like using walnut oil, but the cure time is a lot longer (sometimes weeks) than the other finishes I use. Does anyone use their kiln to cure walnut oil? If so, what temperature and how long?

I do. More a “hot box” vs a kiln - I don’t use a temp control, I adjust airflow through thhe box by opening sizes. I havent measured the temp the wood gets to, but I’m guessing 100-110F based on touch. If I have the shop ac on, I put work outside to cure. It dramatically reduces walnut oil cure time, and helps other oil based finishes cure significantly faster.

Some claim uv helps walnut oil cure faster, but my testing demonstrated to me higher temps and some air movement are better.

Walnut oil does cure, but it takes a while. Exposure to UV light helps. A light bulb kiln will speed things up a bit as well. I guess this is similar to tung oil, but I have no experience with it. Not having the chemical driers in it is a plus to me.

robo hippy

You might try reading longer posts from the past.

@Richard Coers I had read that post. My takeaways were walnut oil does cure, heat and/or UV light may help, different species of wood may react different with walnut oil, and don’t oversaturate the first coat. The reason for this post was to see if anyone was actually using a kiln to speed up the walnut oil curing process. If so, what parameters. So far Doug is using his light box to speed up the curing. I’m going to go with 3 or 4 coats on my next application. The first couple of coats I will not over saturate the piece and put it in my kiln for a day or two @ 90-100F. I have a small fan in the kiln for air movement. The last coat I will put on heavy, wipe the excess and put it in the kiln at the same temp checking couple of days.

Back