• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Colouring

Just attempted some colouring on some boxelder wood tonight. Used food colouring dye in rubbing alcohol. Wasn't very strong so applied a few places more than once. Now working at building up coats of spray clear coat. Anyone else ever use food dyes? Will this be short lasting and fade?

Attachments

• IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6198.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 24
I never tried food dye based on research that said they are not very light fast. Post a follow up I’m interested to see how it does - ‘course it will be a few years of no fade for it to be successful.

I’ve always use metallized dyes, mainly transtint, and have not had any fade, but don’t have anything where it gets much direct sun each day.

I have also noticed that dyes don’t always fade from light. I have seen dyes fade on test pieces kept covered to shield them from ambient light. Wood isn’t an inert material and can react with the chemical components of the dyes.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
food eyes fade rapidly when subjected to direct sunlight. The do hold up for a few years kept out of the sun.. much better to use metallic dyes like Trans tint with a known record of light fastness.

Back