• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Classes

Does any anyone have a recomendation for woodturning classes? There aren't any clubs close by. I see that several places offer classes for beginner level. These run varying lengths. Have you tried them? Any favorites? Any to avoid? I don't mind traveling. Thanks

Woodturning Classes

Some of the best ones I have taken have been from Craft Supply. You might try some ono on one mentoring from your local AAW chapter. A good mentor is a god send.

Good luck

Gran, Where in L.A. are you? ( us folks in the deep south understand the LA thing) I spent a lot of my younger days in the Redneck Riviera.
There is a turning club in Mobile that might be able to help you and there is a new Woodcraft store there too. A couple of the members from our club in MS teach some classes there.

you need some beautiful sweetgum? I have some very large solid butt pieces that are up to 32" and a whole lot of stuff from that size on down. The center is solid and has some outstanding grain patterns.

Bill Hunt
The only woodturner in Wayne Co. Mississippi

Bill, I'm over in Dothan. Mobile is a long run to make a meeting.

How does sweetgum turn? I've tried splitting it before for firewood and it is nearly impossible. As much as the grain twists around I bet it is pretty as a bowl.

Weekends at Highland are good. The best way to go is a weeklong class at places like John C. Campbell Folk School. They have world class teachers who give you hand's on teaching. Go to the John C. Campbell website and their catalogue is on line. You can check course offerings by subject or by the week.
Nick Cook is teaching in the end of March for beginners and just started. His basic courses are the best.
Arrowmont is fine as well.

I have gone to Craft supplies for classes, highly recommend them. A one-week class equals at least one years experience on your own, IMHO.

bob

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Gran
If you happen to be up in middle Tennessee try out the Appalachian Center for crafts www.tntech.edu/craftcenter Click on workshops and then Summer workshops. They have summer workshops. It's a nice place to go. this year they have Paul Ferrul, Nick Cook, Clay Foster and Bob Rosand. If you should come up this way stop in. I'm 15 miles from there.
I can also recommend Arrowmont, John C. Campbell and Highland Hardware as great places to go.

Thanks for all the good info. Maybe one day I'll have a chance to go to Craft Supplies but a week of vacation and travel to Utah is prohibitive for me right now. Shorter and within driving distance is better for me.

My eleven year old son wants to learn as well. I let him do some small projects highly supervised but would like him to learn the right way. Does anyone have any experience with youngsters in class? What is the usual lower age limit?

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Teaching kids, Hockenberys

Hi Gran,

Al and Sherry Hockenbery are two of the best at teaching children. They have recently moved to Florida and I am not sure of their e-mail addresses. But, Al occasionally contributes to this forum and I am hopeful that he will jump in now. I believe they presented their program at a national symposium.

I applaud your efforts. When our children were coming along our pastor said "Ed, don't ever look back and say `I wish I had...' " That was advice I followed and it is some of the best I've ever shared. Time spent with them now pays off in big dividends later.

The turners that John Lucas listed are great teachers. Try to take advantage of their availability if possible. Apparently Nick Cook is doing an excellent job of building up John C. Campbell's program. Good lessons now will save you a lot of time down the road.

Gran, on Feb.12th the Alabama Woodturners in B"ham will have Clay Foster here from 9:00 am until about 3:00 pm, if you can come on up, go to our web page for directions. Clay is one of the top turners in US.

Berea College should be a place to go

:) I don't know for sure,but believe Berea College in Berea,Ky should be a place to get good instruction on turning and any other appalacion art and crafts. Heck,they're alover Tenn and North Carolina. :)

Back