• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck jaw set storage

Website
www.abhats.com
I had to change jaw sets on one of my chucks this afternoon. While poking and proding through the box I keep all of them in, I kept thinking that there had to be a better way to store these things. Has anyone came up with an idea that works? I have three chucks and just about all the different jaw sets the manufacturer makes. My medium sized box has become too cluttered and I'm looking for ideas.

Walt

I hang mine on L hooks through the screw holes.

waltben said:
I had to change jaw sets on one of my chucks this afternoon. While poking and proding through the box I keep all of them in, I kept thinking that there had to be a better way to store these things. Has anyone came up with an idea that works? I have three chucks and just about all the different jaw sets the manufacturer makes. My medium sized box has become too cluttered and I'm looking for ideas.

Walt

Storing Chucks and Jaws

Yes, getting to be a problem and I only have 2 chucks and not all the jaws yet.

I've been thinking about my tool storage problem. Turning tools, chucks, jaws, all the other pieces.

I'm considering a round solution. After all, I'm supposed to be able to turn. So when I get around to it ...

Top will be a cylinder. Plywood top and bottom with 2 middle levels. It will have matching holes drilled in the top two or 3 pieces. Spaced to hold the short tools through 2 levels or longer tools through three. Spindles will hold the ply together at the appropriate height. Tools suspended from the handle on the top level with the end suspended, not resting on the cutting edge.

Perhaps placing a lazy susan spinner under it later.

For now it will rest on the table that is behind me at the lathe. The tools rest on top of the table now. Worked when I had 1 skew, 1 spindle gouge, 1 bowl gouge and a couple of scrapers and a parting tool. Now I have more and need a better solution.

Ultimately I would like it to rest on the top of a chest. Drawers with French Fitted liner. That way every piece of equipment has a place and then maybe I have a chance to keep every piece of equipment in its place.

Now to think on making round drawers and a round chest to hold them. I have the walnut.

John :)

turn a box

Turn a topless box with appropiate grooves and minimum circumference and minimum height. Then you can store in a drawer with all the rest of your "junque". This will keep the jaws in proper order. No expense but a piece of scrap wood.

Bill in WNC mountains

I simply cut some squares of some soft wood (basswood maybe?) about 1/2" bigger thant the dia of the jaws, chucked them up on the lathe, used a parting tool to cut a groove the dia of the jaws on the square about 1/4" deep, then hollowed out the rest of circle. Took just a few minutes and made one for each set of jaws. I labled the size in the corner of the wood block and put all of them in a drawer by the lathe that also holds the chucks.

I can rearrange in the drawer as needed, and add more of them if I get some more jaws. Works well, looks very neat, and by using a standard size wood square for each one it is easy to lay them out in the drawer.

Compartmented wooden boxes for me. Same as the sanding grits. Wall space being as valuable as it is, the boxes act as dividers inside the drawers under the lathe.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Right now mine are in a drawer with some wooden circles that supposedly hold them. I need to remake them. I think when I do I'm going to lay out the drawer so it holds all the chucks and all the jaws in a well organized place. I can have dreams can't I.

Sky

I use a plastic pull tie wrap for each set and keep them in a small tackle box.

I use cottage cheese containers. One set of jaws/container. The containers sit in a newly made drawer. I admit I have to open a couple of containers to find the jaws I want, but, the container keeps the set together and keeps them clean. Seems to work for me. Cheap too.
Hugh

Website
www.abhats.com
Think I'll try a hybrid . .

I like the pegs, but several sets won't fit on one unless it was a good 6" long. The tie wrap idea is also good, but I change them frequently enough that I'd go through a fair amount of them. I do have a spool of iron wire that I've only been using for trash bag ties from my shop, and I believe I'll try using lengths of that with a twist and then hanging the sets from a hook. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Walt

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
I use Oneway Talon chucks and the jaw sets come in nifty little cardboard boxes, clearly labeled. I just put the jaws back in the box they shipped in and put 'em in a drawer. Guess this isn't very original, is it? :eek:

pencheff said:
I use Oneway Talon chucks and the jaw sets come in nifty little cardboard boxes, clearly labeled. I just put the jaws back in the box they shipped in and put 'em in a drawer. Guess this isn't very original, is it? :eek:
I'm glad somebody else said that, 'cause it's exactly what I do too. I just wish that the #3 jaws came in a slightly larger box.

try those cheap refrigerator containers which have screw-off covers. great for most sizes,etc. and they stack. I love them

Back