• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chainsaw bar oil

His tool reviews are second to none. Do check them out for just about any tool you are looking for. He has done them on chainsaw sharpeners, and cordless chainsaws too.

robo hippy

Fun YouTube channel for sure. And I find it impressive how much content he can continuously output! I could never seem to be that productive-in anything,lol!

Project Farms favorite bar & chain oil is Harvest King, but that’s not a brand I’ve seen around here. Maybe someday he’ll do another test with bar & chain oils from national chains like Tractor Supply, Home Depot and Lowes. TSC used to carry my preferred oil, but during Covid the price went up and the quality went down. Now I buy 4 gallons of generic bar & chain oil at Home Depot in order to get a quantity discount. I’m not about to spend the money to get pricey Stihl or Husqvarna oil especially after seeing the video.

I’ve read many sawyers in Europe using the cheapest vegetable oil they can find since it’s biodegradable. That would be interesting to add to the testing done by PF. Has anyone here had good luck using vegetable oil by chance?

Tip: If you use your chainsaws a lot then occasionally rinse out the oil tank with a little bit of your gas & oil mix to remove any sediment. Then refill with fresh bar oil.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Chainsaw bar oil is just your standard plain old straight-weight motor oil, but it has additives to it to make the oil "tacky" so it tends to stay in place better on the hot bar & chain while in operation - it resists being slung off. (If you took slo-mo video of a bar tip you'd be able to see the difference in the sling-off of bar oil vs motor oil.) If I didn't already have about a gallon and a half of bar oil left over from my small engine shop, I'd probably just go down to local dollar store and if they didn't have a quart of bar oil (they often do until they are sold out) I'd just get some straight weight oil (or better yet, hypoid gear oil) but Just have to be aware that bar, chain and sprocket would wear much more quickly and couldn't handle deep, long cuts like ripping a big log very well.

That said, I really never even considered there to be a "Best" bar and chain oil - around here, the best oil was the lowest priced oil.. so often it would depend on a shop's buying power and margin tolerance (Buy cases of oil by the truckload factory direct, and tolerance for thin margins, you could sell out that truckload in a few months - when dealers couldn't BUY bar oil for under $6/gallon, this one guy was getting truckloads at $3/gallon and then selling at $9/gallon, and made better margins than local dealers could trying to compete with him...) No one cared what brand it was, they just cared about the bottom line price.

Y'all must do some heavy chainsaw work. I think I used about a gallon of bar oil in the past year.
Volunteer tree cutting work during natural disasters like after tornadoes and winter storm and then the occasional chainsaw milling goes thru a lot of oil & gas especially on the bigger saws over 80cc’s. A gallon might last me about one or two months and oddly it cost over twice the price of my gas&oil mix.

Also, store bought pre-mix gas at the chain stores is a big ripoff which can cause engine problems. Check out YouTube videos from Chicanic about the number of problems that her small engine shop see with people using pre-mix gas. I personally use ethanol free gas with a quality oil mix at 1/5th the price of pre-mix gas.

Back