• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CD with Directory

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
It is great they sent a CD with the Directory. But can someone please tell me how to view it. I have looked through the Directory and find nothing about it. I have tried all afternoon to get it to play. Have updated Windows many times. Have Updated Media Player may times. Still it will not play. Does anyone know how to view this thing?

Probably not a "CD".

It's probably a "DVD".

And you'll either need a PC with a DVD drive on it, or pop it into your DVD player in your entertainment center.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
2006 Symposium DVD a good idea....

....to give AAW members who have not attended a symposium the flavor of what it's like at one.

I also watched the DVD last night....even though I was there in Louisville last year, it was great to see some additional clips from rotations I could not get to, and some of the pieces in the various galleries. It is a mini-tutorial for a few projects and techniques presented by recognized woodturning experts; those that haven't seen it yet will appreciate it - an hour well spent in front of "the tube".

This DVD was an excellent "bonus" (as was the sharpening DVD last year), and I hope this year's symposium will be similarly documented. Do we know if plans are in place to do a parallel DVD of the 2007 Symposium to be distributed in next year's membership renewal/Resource Directory mailing?

See you in Portland!

Rob

Last edited:
Rick H said:
My computer is suppose to be a DVD player too. I will try it in on the TV DVD player toninght. Thanks.
Rick, you may need a DVD decoder installed on your computer to view DVD's with your player. That software usually comes with the software for your player.

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Dvd

Yes my son installed a new program to watch the DVD with. Now if it just didnt have the glitch in it that it stops in the same place every time I play it. The disc was marred when I received it and it stops right toward the end of the segement on pierced lid. That is the part I would really like to see the finishing of. Ok well that is life, I will try to find another member here that may have the a disc I can watch.

DVD Read problems

One thing you can try is to wash the dvd with warm water and dish washing soap, then pat the dvd dry, (DON'T Rub the dvd or you can scratch it). Washing it won't hurt the dvd and it will remove any film that is on the surface of the disk.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
paulspencer2001 said:
One thing you can try is to wash the dvd with warm water and dish washing soap, then pat the dvd dry, (DON'T Rub the dvd or you can scratch it). Washing it won't hurt the dvd and it will remove any film that is on the surface of the disk.
A flaw like that typically means that it is the TOP side of the disk that is scratched and NOT the bottom. In such a case, there is noting that can be done to fix it and you could call AAW and ask for a replacement.

Bill

WOW!!! What a quality organization we have with AAW. The DVD sent with the directory is worth the price of membership all by itself.
Way cool......... :cool2:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
nuturner said:
WOW!!! What a quality organization we have with AAW. The DVD sent with the directory is worth the price of membership all by itself.
Way cool......... :cool2:
You're taunting those turners who have not joined :D. Seriously, it is very good and it gave me a good flavor of what goes on during the symposium. Portland was a bit far to travel ... maybe next year. Where will it be next year?

Bill

where

richmond va in 2008 :D

Back