• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CBN wheel advice

Hello, does anyone has tried the AXMINSTER PROFESSIONAL CBN wheels , because they are so far much cheaper than any CBN I’ve checked.

And before I buy I’d like to hear your advices because I don’t want to regret in the future.
thank you in advance

I cannot speak to their specific quality but they in general are a quality company. Their 200x40 mm 180 grit for $130 seem like a decent price and specs.
Pat

I cannot speak to their specific quality but they in general are a quality company. Their 200x40 mm 180 grit for $130 seem like a decent price and specs.
Pat
Thank you so much. I really was about to buy the Norton 120 or 150 grinding wheel until I saw this CBN wheel at Axminster and thought maybe It worths the investment.
It seems to be a good choice and is free shipping and no taxes to USA but I couldn’t find many info about this CBN wheel.
https://www.axminstertools.com/us/axminster-evolution-series-cbn-wheels-180g-103915
greetings

I’m sure the wheel is fine. However it has a 1 1/4” mounting. You will also most likely need to buy the bushing to reduce the 1 1/4” mounting to 5/8” mounting. I have Axminister chucks and they are first class, high quality.
Thank you so much,yes they also sell the bushing for the 5/8 shaft.
My concern was because I couldn’t find any feedback about that brand.
Today I placed the order for the talon chuck and I‘m about to buy the makita grinding wheel 60 grit, because it’s the finer that I could find in Peru (arround $23 ) and didn’t want to spend in a CBN that will be at around $200 at the door of my house, I don’t know if it really makes the difference, worth the extra money and would be better to go for the CBN?

YES....The CBN wheel will remain the same size and shape - for as long as it is.
The friable wheels are difficult to balance well, and need to be dressed fairly often - which wears them away faster. So, I do believe the CBN wheel is the best use of your money for long term.

YES....The CBN wheel will remain the same size and shape - for as long as it is.
The friable wheels are difficult to balance well, and need to be dressed fairly often - which wears them away faster. So, I do believe the CBN wheel is the best use of your money for long term.
Thank you so much for your recommendatio.

Rockler sells Spartan CBN wheels for $130 and, usually, any order over $35 is free shipping. I don't know anything about CBN wheels so couldn't tell you about this brand. They are 8" X 1".

Rockler sells Spartan CBN wheels for $130 and, usually, any order over $35 is free shipping. I don't know anything about CBN wheels so couldn't tell you about this brand. They are 8" X 1".
Thank you so much, I’ll check it, the axminster is a temptation because it’s 32mm wide face
and Coating extends 15mm down each side.

Well, I always recommend the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I have never run off the edge of one of them. Being a Yankee/Gringo, I don't know metric..... 1 inch wheel is just not as good as the wider ones.

robo hippy

Well, I always recommend the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I have never run off the edge of one of them. Being a Yankee/Gringo, I don't know metric..... 1 inch wheel is just not as good as the wider ones.

robo hippy
thank you and I agree if I’m going to invest in a CBN i prefer it to be wider.
greetings

I think the CBN wheel is a good purchase overall, not sure about the quality of that one specifically. I ordered mine off of Amazon for like $100 and it was amazing.

I think the CBN wheel is a good purchase overall, not sure about the quality of that one specifically. I ordered mine off of Amazon for like $100 and it was amazing.
Thank you so much, finally I bought a Norton white wheel AO, but id love to try a CBN wheel.
Please what’s the CBN wheel brand you bought at Amazon?

I bought one from Lee Valley for $99 and I am very happy with it. It is my first one so I cannot compare it to any other CBN wheels but it is far better than any traditional wheels I have used.

I bought one from Lee Valley for $99 and I am very happy with it. It is my first one so I cannot compare it to any other CBN wheels but it is far better than any traditional wheels I have used.
Thank you so much i just checked it and they are the 6" wheels and my grinder wheels are 8" those ones are $169.

Bummer. I should have specified 6". Though, I have to wonder why an 8" is so much more. The CBN wheel is a game changer when it comes to sharpening tools. Good luck in your quest.

Bummer. I should have specified 6". Though, I have to wonder why an 8" is so much more. The CBN wheel is a game changer when it comes to sharpening tools. Good luck in your quest.
it’s ok, day by day I’m more curious with the CBN wheel but im just starting. Last week I finished to buy almost all the turning accessories (chuck,gouges,pen mandrel, oneway Wolverine system, friction oil)
now I’m working in the lathe stand.
i would like to try the Axminster CBN wheel.
i bought the Axminster live center and the compression pen mandrel and they are very well made look very superb quality.
thank you so much.

I have been using the Axminister 200 mm CBN wheel now for 4+ years and it has performed flawlessly. You need to get the bushes that fit your shaft. It was/is perfectly balanced and runs without any vibration . No hesitation in recommending their CBN wheel (180gr)

I have been using the Axminister 200 mm CBN wheel now for 4+ years and it has performed flawlessly. You need to get the bushes that fit your shaft. It was/is perfectly balanced and runs without any vibration . No hesitation in recommending their CBN wheel (180gr)
thank you so much, I’m so happy to hear that because I couldn’t find any info. for now I already bought the Norton white wheel but as soon as it possible the Axminster is going to be my next choice.

Back