• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can I please get help identifying this gouge and any estimated value of it?

I purchased a glaser gouge from an estate for about $30 if I recall. Haven't used it much because the length makes sharpening difficult. Good tip from this thread about removing the handle.
I don't consider myself a collector but I picked up a nice Stockdale platter at an auction recently. I was the only bidder.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I asked Alan Lacer and here is the crux of it

(Alan) M2 hss with goncalo alves handle. Early Jerry Glaser.

Here's the long story

Simply put: Bob Stocksdale turned bowls from the ’40’s long before the advent of the true deep fluted bowl gouge (that credit goes to Roy Child in England, working with Henry Taylor). As a result of his time he was using a shallow gouge in the long and strong tradition of tools—most would refer to it as a spindle gouge. In the late 60’s after making a scraper from a “mysterious bar of steel” (turned out to be M2 HSS) he asked Jerry Glaser (a close friend and fellow woodturner in CA) to fabricate a gouge from that steel. At first Jerry machined a square bar of steel into the rough idea of the English gouge that had been forged. Soon he realized it was easier to mill a round bar of HSS into the shape. Soon he was making tools and selling this particular gouge with Bob’s signature on the steel. Early on these were in wooden handles, later in metal handles.

I met Bob at a demo he did in a hotel in Chicago in the late 70’s—and bought one of these gouges for $100 (a fortune for me at that time) in Goncalo alves. I found it okay on the outside of a bowl but quite a struggle to hollow (a true bowl gouge was a huge improvement for hollowing).

(Steve) I have one of a similar gouge, I would value it at about $100, maybe more to someone who is a collector.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Don’t let it put too sour of a taste in your mouth. And, I hope this doesn’t permanently deter you from wanting to participate in the forum. When false assumptions and saltiness cross paths, the outcome is never good. You’re as welcome here as anyone else. I’d love to see some photos of your bowls and wands if you want to post to the gallery and/or you get a chance to make an intro post.
I would have deleted all of the negative phishing posts. Too late now.

Back