• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can I please get help identifying this gouge and any estimated value of it?

I purchased this Bob Stocksdale gouge and Robert Sorby skew as part of a bundle at an estate sale, but I don’t know much about them.
Stocksdale seems to be a notable figure in wood turning but there is very little info on this gouge.

Thanks in advance for any input
IMG_6367.jpegIMG_6366.jpegIMG_6382.jpeg

I don't have a guess on the value, but AFAIK the Bob Stocksdale signature gouges were made by Jerry Glaser. Glaser Hitec still sells a Stocksdale gouge, but it's CPM15V now. The one you have is probably M4 steel, as mentioned on this page:

On reddit you were trying to sell them?
"I acquired these from an estate sale as part of a bundle of other tools and I am trying to determine a value for these because I’m short on cash right now."

On reddit you were trying to sell them?
"I acquired these from an estate sale as part of a bundle of other tools and I am trying to determine a value for these because I’m short on cash right now."
yes. I would like to sell them, but I don’t wanna just give something away for a few dollars if there’s any real value in it as others have made it seem

Jacob,
If I were in your shoes, I would not sell the Stocksdale gouge. It is the "Rembrandt" of Jerry Glaser's Turnmaster tools that he developed long before HSS tools entered the woodturning field. And patterned after the gouge he made for Bob Stocksdale that I saw him use in a 1980 demo.
For some reason I don't think he's a turner. If he is, I apologize for being way off base.

The Sorby is worth next to nothing. They are common, so no demand from collectors, and the Kangaroo sticker dates it to being no later that the early 1980s, so not likely to be HSS and therefore not so good as a user.

The Glaser-Stockdale gouge is definitely for the collectors and is probably worth more having never been used because it will have Glaser's original grind on it, which will be of particular interest to the collectors. If it were mine in that condition I would not use it, but just keep it as it is to have as a reference. Rather than putting a price on it I suggest it would be better to put it up for auction somewhere and put a link to that here.

Perhaps, but it would be hard to justify a $74 AAW membership to sell $50 worth of gouges.
There are rules about selling on this site, and it's obvious he is phishing to sell his estate "gold" without actually putting up a classified listing. Wouldn't be a good idea to only have prospective and seasoned members only here? And not have estate sale resellers? Just asking.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Perhaps, but it would be hard to justify a $74 AAW membership to sell $50 worth of gouges.
Don't need to join or be a member of AAW to sign up for the forum...
There are rules about selling on this site, and it's obvious he is phishing to sell his estate "gold" without actually putting up a classified listing. Wouldn't be a good idea to only have prospective and seasoned members only here? And not have estate sale resellers? Just asking.

I can see Richard's point, but how do the mods figure out if someone's a turner or not - they already work pretty hard at verifying and validating the signups to begin with. I'd have to guess that the few like the O.P. that slip through the cracks eventually get nailed with the Ban Hammer.... and that'd be *IF* the O.P. isn't actually a turner or wanna-be turner... Hard to tell from a just 2 posts. Who knows, maybe instead of selling the tools, he'll decide to get a lathe and learn to use them instead?

Don't need to join or be a member of AAW to sign up for the forum...

I can see Richard's point, but how do the mods figure out if someone's a turner or not - they already work pretty hard at verifying and validating the signups to begin with. I'd have to guess that the few like the O.P. that slip through the cracks eventually get nailed with the Ban Hammer.... and that'd be *IF* the O.P. isn't actually a turner or wanna-be turner... Hard to tell from a just 2 posts. Who knows, maybe instead of selling the tools, he'll decide to get a lathe and learn to use them instead?
This isn't the only place he posted. Check my post #3. It was clear on reddit that he wanted to sell them. If that's the case, put them in a classified ad.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
This isn't the only place he posted. Check my post #3. It was clear on reddit that he wanted to sell them. If that's the case, put them in a classified ad.
Yeah, but you were saying
Wouldn't be a good idea to only have prospective and seasoned members only here?.
Sounds like you'd expect moderators here to chase down every post based on someone's name to see if they were legit turners or not.. Me, I'd say if they did that, They'd never have time to do anything else.... So while I can see your point (vetting someone before they can join and post), there's got to be a point where someone's gotta say "how much is too much"?

OTOH I can see no harm in asking an opinion on what something might be worth, which the O.P,. did here.

(When I'm gone, I am sure very few of my heirs would have much idea what some of my tools and equipment are actually worth - I actually have it written down that to find help in selling off my shop should they choose to do that, the AAW would be a good place to turn to... - There's no clubs in my area, and very few other turners that'd come by to help, so... I'd hope there'd be a few folks on here willing to at least take some time to write out some suggestions to my heirs what to look for pricing-wise, if not actually assist by using their 10+ post count to put an ad in classifieds... That is, assuming my heirs don't have the sense to log in as me and post under my account. :) - which I also have noted down as a suggestion in my final instructions.)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I can see why someone might want a genuine Bob Stocksdale bowl.........but, having a gouge with his signature seems pretty much useless. I do understand that there are those who buy "signature" turning tools, so from a capitalistic standpoint, it's easy to understand why so many "signature" tools from various other recognized turners are being marketed. A few of them may have an initial special grind, but all of them are basically commonly used tools that can be had at a better price without the name recognition.

-o-

I can see why someone might want a genuine Bob Stocksdale bowl.........but, having a gouge with his signature seems pretty much useless.

It's a Glaser, probably M4 steel, so I'd imagine it's a pretty decent gouge regardless of the signature.

As for signature tools, I don't mind paying a couple extra dollars for a tool that comes out of the package the way I want it. I have a Richard Raffan signature spear-point scraper with nicely rounded edges for shear scraping. It's a specialty tool, but perfect for cleaning up the bottom curve of a bowl around the foot. I might have been able to save a dollar or three by shaping the tool myself, but those factory-rounded edges are nicer than what I can do with a belt sander, and reshaping tools at the grinder isn't one of my favorite tasks.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I can see why someone might want a genuine Bob Stocksdale bowl.........but, having a gouge with his signature seems pretty much useless. I do understand that there are those who buy "signature" turning tools, so from a capitalistic standpoint, it's easy to understand why so many "signature" tools from various other recognized turners are being marketed. A few of them may have an initial special grind, but all of them are basically commonly used tools that can be had at a better price without the name recognition.

-o-
I can see a gouge like this, in original condition, appealing to someone interested in collecting pieces important to woodturning tool history (vs wanting it as a tool to use).

odie

TOTW Team
It's a Glaser, probably M4 steel, so I'd imagine it's a pretty decent gouge regardless of the signature.

As for signature tools, I don't mind paying a couple extra dollars for a tool that comes out of the package the way I want it. I have a Richard Raffan signature spear-point scraper with nicely rounded edges for shear scraping. It's a specialty tool, but perfect for cleaning up the bottom curve of a bowl around the foot. I might have been able to save a dollar or three by shaping the tool myself, but those factory-rounded edges are nicer than what I can do with a belt sander, and reshaping tools at the grinder isn't one of my favorite tasks.
I can see a gouge like this, in original condition, appealing to someone interested in collecting pieces important to woodturning tool history (vs wanting it as a tool to use).

For the reasons you both are stating, I can understand why sales of signature turning tools exist, and probably always will.

My statements above reflect my own beliefs about whether signature tools have any value.....to me! :)

As I see it, getting an initial grind the way I want it, only takes about 15 minutes of time. From then on, maintaining that grind shape and resharpening takes probably less than a couple minutes.

-o-

As I see it, getting an initial grind the way I want it, only takes about 15 minutes of time. From then on, maintaining that grind shape and resharpening takes probably less than a couple minutes.

It's mostly scrapers (like the Raffan spearpoint) where I'm willing to pay a bit more for the initial shaping and edge rounding. There's just so much material to remove sometimes! But my son is learning woodturning at school, so maybe I can pay him to stand at the grinder for me in the near future. :)

odie

TOTW Team
It's mostly scrapers (like the Raffan spearpoint) where I'm willing to pay a bit more for the initial shaping and edge rounding. There's just so much material to remove sometimes! But my son is learning woodturning at school, so maybe I can pay him to stand at the grinder for me in the near future. :)

You and your son should be grateful that he's in a school where the industrial arts are still a part of the curriculum.

-o-

Odie, I see a source of income for turners like yourself who are well respected. You could offer gouges used in your turning with a certificate of authenticity along with a picture of the bowl it was used on.. You'd make a small fortune, everybody would want a genuine used-by-Odie gouge.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, I see a source of income for turners like yourself who are well respected. You could offer gouges used in your turning with a certificate of authenticity along with a picture of the bowl it was used on.. You'd make a small fortune, everybody would want a genuine used-by-Odie gouge.

Thanks Doug...... :)

I appreciate your confidence.

Many turners probably would be interested, but my life's goals aren't in harmony with that kind of thinking. I have enough money to pay the bills, though I couldn't be considered a rich man. Having the mindset that I do, opens up a whole new perspective on life.....and, I like the place where I'm at. If the pursuit of money were a preference, I'd probably lose those wonderful and previously neglected things I've come to enjoy at this stage of my life.

Hope that makes sense....

-o-

As a now ex-surgeon used to having a scrub tech hand me requested instruments as I do surgery, that’d be great woodturning—just to say “scraper” or “3/8 inch gouge,” reach your hand out and have it handed to you . . . but I’m dreaming.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
An awful lot of assumptions are being made here. Jacob joined the forum in early February. It seems unlikely that his motive for joining was to phish for information about an estate sale gouge 6 months after joining. This forum is free to join, you need not be an AAW member. You don’t even need to be a turner. And if you’re not, but you get a little bit of interest in the craft by lurking, or maybe even talking shop with turners about a cool tool, then chalk that up as a win for the forum.

I think Jacob got the information he needed, and everyone else got to witness or participate in an interesting discussion. Good enough for me without the unnecessary drama.

It is my belief that the original Glaser tools in the red handles were 10V steel and the black handles were 15V steel. I was never interested in acquiring any as they were glued into the handles and as I learned early on how sharpening without handles was so much easier. Thomson Lathe Tools made replacement steel for these handles.

Wow. This thread got out of hand quick. Sorry if I offended any senior members by my supposed “phishing”.

I am a fairly new turner, but have made a few bowls and 20+ wands for kids at my work.

I have been sitting on these tools for over a year, but due to currently being in a tight spot financially I have been considering selling them. I was posting multiple places so that hopefully a more experienced turner would come across the post.

Sorry to bother yall.

On signature tools, I'm not against them. Neither do I buy a tool because someone's name is on it. I only own one, designed by Jason Breach (not counting three Oland tools that came to me), and I didn't buy it because it had his name on it, but it was closest to the tool I wanted. I didn't even know who he was before I googled. I bought it over a Glenn Lucas tool I was considering.... again, I didn't care his name was on it, but it just happened to be the shape I wanted. I'm thinking about a Cindy Drozda tool, and I have made a few tools based on her designs; again, design, not name.

As a now ex-surgeon used to having a scrub tech hand me requested instruments as I do surgery, that’d be great woodturning—just to say “scraper” or “3/8 inch gouge,” reach your hand out and have it handed to you . . . but I’m dreaming.
Alan,
I was one of those OR nurses handing surgeons “tools” of that trade (including the TV doctor Oz’s father, Mustafa Oz) for a short time before transferring to a surgical-trauma ICU.

Some of the more delicate ‘operations’ in woodturning remind me of the precision and delicate touch of some mighty fine surgeons.

Oops!! I thought I had a few but they are not Glaser at all- look like a Taiwan copy. Bolted-in not glued-in tools, and a darker red, not the almost pinkish red of true Glaser tool handles. No markings and the knurled is the full length of the handle, not interrupted like a Glaser handle.
Sorry to mislead everyone!! ******

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Wow. This thread got out of hand quick. Sorry if I offended any senior members by my supposed “phishing”.

I am a fairly new turner, but have made a few bowls and 20+ wands for kids at my work.

I have been sitting on these tools for over a year, but due to currently being in a tight spot financially I have been considering selling them. I was posting multiple places so that hopefully a more experienced turner would come across the post.

Sorry to bother yall.
Don’t let it put too sour of a taste in your mouth. And, I hope this doesn’t permanently deter you from wanting to participate in the forum. When false assumptions and saltiness cross paths, the outcome is never good. You’re as welcome here as anyone else. I’d love to see some photos of your bowls and wands if you want to post to the gallery and/or you get a chance to make an intro post.

It is my belief that the original Glaser tools in the red handles were 10V steel and the black handles were 15V steel. I was never interested in acquiring any as they were glued into the handles and as I learned early on how sharpening without handles was so much easier. Thomson Lathe Tools made replacement steel for these handles.
That's correct. I have several of the red-handled (10V) and one of the black-handled (15V) tools. The more I used them, the more I liked them. So on all of them, I removed the gouges (heat with a torch, it's just SuperGlue), then drilled & tapped two holes for Allen set screws. Presto - removable gouges, much easier (as you said) for sharpening.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

Sorry to bother yall.
There was an AAW article written awhile back by Alan Lacer about earlier Glaser tools. I personally have a Turnmaster done by him that is on a African Blackwood handle, and yes, I use it.
The gouge itself is likely a high quality tool and is also of (woodturning) historical value.

Allright, I'll bite.
Around here, you'd be lucky to get $20.00 for the skew and $40.00 for the gouge and that's because of the Stocksdale name.
There are a lot of great tools available now in very durable steels that weren't available then.
Decades back I sold a five gallon bucket full of Disston/Buck Brothers tools for $20.00 to a beginning turner. Part of the deal was that he would sell the bucket of tools to the next beginning turner for the same price. He was delighted. Almost a year later I saw him at a meeting and he told me he'd made another beginning turner very happy for $20.00.
The problem with selling older tools is that there's a risk (not a guarantee) that the steel will require constant sharpening compared to what's available these days.

Allright, I'll bite.
Around here, you'd be lucky to get $20.00 for the skew and $40.00 for the gouge and that's because of the Stocksdale name.
There are a lot of great tools available now in very durable steels that weren't available then.

The gouge is most likely M4 steel. That's better steel than you'll find in a lot of HSS turning tools today.

Back