• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can I get a show of hands...

Someone has suggested that we set up a special interest session at the AAW 2007 Symposium to talk about website building and maintaining. If there is any interest in doing this, please post here.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Ed:

I'm planning on attending the Portland AAW Symposium, and would be interested in a website building session, although it should be scheduled at a time OTHER than when normal rotations are being run; ...perhaps in the evening, but NOT the evening of the banquet(?).

Given the choice between a website building session and attending a demonstration in a rotation, I'll come down every time on the side of "rotation demo".... That's the major reason I attend the annual symposium!

Cheers,

Rob Wallace

Let me amend the initial post...the AAW has offered to make demo rooms available to any special interest group attending the Symposium, Friday night after the regularly scheduled demos are over...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
That sounds like a great idea. I already know how to build, organize, and maintain websites, but I occasionally get a request to build a website for a club or individual. I unfortunately have to decline because of all of the irons that I have in the fire already. Building a website also means taking care of it so I would not be able to just build a website and then just walk away and assume that someone else would be able to maintain it.

Learning basic HTML is easy and the course sounds like something that would generate a lot of interest. I also think that for those who are already fluent in the technical aspects of building a website that a short overview course in website design and layout would be beneficial. This would focus more on the "eye appeal" aspects of designing websites and leave the technical part to the programmer's own expertise.

Bill
Woodturners of North Texas

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Anyone else interested?

Posting again to put this back on top....

I assume that Ed wants to know how much support this idea has....(Ed....correct me if I'm wrong....) and with 192 views and only 2 positive replies, we're below a 3% response, and on that basis it doesn't seem like there's much interest overall. Begs the question whether it's actually worth doing...

I think it would be good to know how many members would attend a web site development session if one were scheduled for the AAW Symposium in Portland....a straw poll of sorts, to see if making the effort to set this up is worth it or not. Posting a simple "interested" or "not interested" might help?

Other suggestions or responses...??

Rob Wallace

Back