• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Calipers

I’m looking for a set of calipers that have rounded tip so that it won’t catch when I’m turning
So if I’m turning a spindle I want to put the caliper over my object of interest then as I’m turning the spindle I can keep checking the size with out stopping the lathe
All of the calipers I have seen have sharp points and I don’t want to grind the points of if I don’t need to. Thanks

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I’m looking for a set of calipers that have rounded tip so that it won’t catch when I’m turning
So if I’m turning a spindle I want to put the caliper over my object of interest then as I’m turning the spindle I can keep checking the size with out stopping the lathe
All of the calipers I have seen have sharp points and I don’t want to grind the points of if I don’t need to. Thanks
I got a cheap set of harbor freight calipers and ground tips off the outside calipers, the straight calipers I sharpened one tip and modified the other arm to turn it into a compass , the inside calipers I have not touched yet.... both work suitably well and unless you need precision , I would imagine any cheap set you can find would suffice for turning (Indeed, I am considering finding a few more sets if I can find them again , HF No longer had them as far as I could find - so I can make myself a multi-set of outside calipers for more complex duplicate turnings - have one caliper set for each size needed....far cheaper than if I went and bought "quality" single outside calipers, since the inside calipers I'd probably never use, though I might find use for the straight ones around the shop- such as having a pair or two permanently locked to measure out dovetail sets, etc.)

As far as finding the calipers with already rounded tips, I suspect they'd come at a premium, if they exist, that probably they would not be worth it, for what they do.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
rounded tip so that it won’t catch when I’m turning
As you point out Rounded tips are essential to prevent a catch.

When I get new calipers I lightly touch the four sharp corners to the fine wheel on my grinder.
Hold the point downward
Then twist the end of the caliper back and forth in a 220 sanding disc.
It may seem intimidating but a light touch on the wheel…

Rounded calipers do not grab - IMG_0581.jpeg

I find parting and checking to be inefficient and inaccurate
Parting trim.D8FA8F66-F142-4EA8-A61E-8CCD284A6DE3.gif. Check depthIMG_0586.jpeg

I prefer to part in until the calipers slip over. - this is a quick way to mark the diameter of a cylinder
trim.C8C7EAE4-BD19-4CE3-AD49-E3CEB23F7B0C.gif

Last edited:
What a coinkydink! I just sanded down the sharp points on several sets of calipers at our high school shop, where the students generally use the calipers in 'push on' mode, as you do. With sharp points, they are really hard to use. I long ago learned to use them in a 'pull off' manner, probably because they were sharp and it didn't occur to me to modify the tool. You can relieve the points with sandpaper, but at least a minimal reduction in the point is definitely needed.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
What is the reason for not griding the sharp ends? It's a simple thing to do.
I suspect it may be dependent on the shop and the type of work done. Flatwork and metal work, those sharp points are often needed for pinpoint accuracy, so my *good* set of calipers are unmodified and pristine. Since I wanted some calipers for turning as noted above I went and bought a couple of the cheapest sets I could find and used those for the grinding of tips off... However if there had been rounded tip calipers as O.P. Noted above I probably would have bought some of those, instead.

Another way to skin the cat is to use "Galbert Calipers" from the chairmaker, Peter Galbert. I've never used them, but have heard rave reviews from those who have. They look like this:
1697990480388.png

They're described as a "turner's tape measure". Pressed against the spindle, they give an accurate measure of the diameter, from 0.5" to 2.75". You just stop removing wood when you reach the diameter you want.

They're pricy. I've had them on my Christmas wish list for a couple of years, but so far no one in my family has come through for me.

Dave Bunge, I agree with you about the Galbert Caliper, it is extremely accurate, super fast, and once you have used one, you'll never go back; so to speak.

I have the metric version, which is even pricier than your USA inch version. But the speed and accuracy using this kind of calliper for repetitive spindle work is in another league. Certainly beats having multiple pre-set callipers lined up, or a set of modified open end narrow spanners.

As a bonus, one only has to pick up a piece of dowel, or similar rounded bit of material, place it in the jaws of the Galbert unit and immediately know the correct diameter. Beats fiddling with opening and closing a set of callipers then using a rule to measure the gap.

Back