• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA Safety warning!

Here's a Murphy's Law thing that happened to me the other day and I pass it on so others may benefit. Put some thin CA into a crack in a chunk of cherry, waited about 20 seconds, shot it all with accelerator, stepped aside and turned on my PM. Zingo! A shot in the left eye, under the glasses I was wearing! A bit of shock and dismay, to say the least. Appartently, the crack was deep enough that the CA was able to avoid being hardened and came shooting out when the lathe was turned on. So, yesterday, I bought a pair of wrap-around bifocals to wear while turning. I don't think anything is going to skip thru or under that pair of glasses. And, if I remember to do so, I will turn down the speed next time before re-starting the lathe! Phil

Stuff can be fun, no doubt. Protect yourself whichever way you can. I use a switch at the tail end of my lathe as my primary defense. Keeps me out of the way entirely.

Suggestion; cherry being the acid wood it is, spritz the crack then add CA. It'll still wick in well, which is why a through-and-through benefits from a bit of masking tape on the outside to limit the flow and possible throw. Additional benefit comes from more rapid cure and less penetration on the surface. Less sanding.

And we all love to sand!

ca

I don't trust the accelerator in cracks. After waiting a minutes or so, I stand aside and let the blank spin awhile before getting on the "firing line". Gretch

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I wear a full face shield most all the time. In addition to protecting the eyes and other parts. It is a lot cheaper to buy a replacement sheild than new lenses for my prescription Safety glasses. If you use CA a lot it will hit you sometime.

Also I always stand to the side when I start the lathe. and try to avoid being out of the line of fire as much as I can.

Another Caution with using CA as you described is quite often the accelerator hardening the surface leaving liquid CA inside the crack. a little bit of turning cuts away the dried CA and the rest flies out.

I encourage every turner to wear a facesheild.

Happy Turning,
Al

hockenbery said:
Another Caution with using CA as you described is quite often the accelerator hardening the surface leaving liquid CA inside the crack. a little bit of turning cuts away the dried CA and the rest flies out.

Yup. Thus the pH modifier in advance and tape as required on the crack.

I often double-pop the cracks, putting in the thin to run by capillary action, then the thicker for gap-filling. Scrubbing the mushed bark or dust across the crack once the CA is in there gives it less to absorb, and keeps my finishing options open. No "dead fish" eye look like you can get if you add the glue to the dust.

Regardless of whatever CA safety tricks you use- wear a full face shield all the time. Once you get used to it the shield will become second nature. If I am just turning, especially green wood, I will always wear a face shield. If it is dry wood or I am sanding I always wear my fan powered filtered face shield. It's cheap compared to visiting the ER trying to get CA out of eye or stitches for a cut from that loose chuck of wood.

I second the motion on ventilation, especially if you're using about a half cc of CA. In the face shield best, but at least a floor fan nearby. CA isn't friendly to your innards either.

Joe

face shield protection

Another hint to avoid the sap/CA on the face shield is to take Saran (plastic)wrap and cover the front of the shield, wrapping over the edges to hold. Gretch

Back