• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Buying a lathe

I have a nice Delta 16" lathe that I bought 2 years ago. Now, of course I want a bigger lathe - 24". The choices I've seen are Powermatic, Vicmark, and $GASP$ Oneway. I'd like to hear you experiences and recommendations. Also, what would be the best way to sell the Delta?

Herb

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I would add Robust to that list. From all accounts a real contender

I tried to sell my Delta on Craigs-list, got a few close offers, got a couple of botton-feeders (offering 1/2 of the price I was asking)

Finally listed it on eBay, as a "pick-up only, pay cash" and got $10 more then what I had asked on Craigs-list.

Also check the past comments on lathes.

Search "old" threads for info.
I have listed two threads below I found when I used "buy lathe".

Dream Lathe - what would you do? by mrGeeze
has 4 pages of replies, many relevant to your question.

Getting a better lathe by Frank Alvarez has 2 pages of replies

Jeff Jig, a former moderator, suggested searching "lathe purchase" or the lathe model you are considering for comments.

Happy shopping.
Ann

I have a Vicmarc VL300 and couldn't be happier with it. Having said that, I don't think you would go wrong with any that you mentioned. When you get right down to it, its the operator, not the machine that really makes the difference.

I had a General 260 and upgraded to a Powermatic 4224 about 1 1/2 years ago. The only other lathe I considered before the purchase was a VL 300. The 300 is a good machine but the Powermatic is really solid and I'd do it again. I sold the General to a neighbor so can't help with suggestions on disposal of your Delta.
good luck
Roger Dunn

Powermatic 3520A

I ended up getting a 3520A, that had been damaged in shipping and had just sat in a wharehouse for ? time. Besides a few scratches and a new emergency off button( $35? to replace)it was a great buy under $1800 with shipping. it continues to run great. I doubt I'll ever out grow it( I am at best a weekend warrior). But Our club also has the same machine and the guys who have demo'd on it seem to have no complaints(Alan Lacer, Jimmy Clews, Al Hockenberry, Dave Barringer, Cindy Drozda).

selling a lathe

The lathe in question is a Delta 1642 steel bed, variable speed. shipping weight is 450 lbs. It's located in the Denver area

Herb

Website
www.abhats.com
So many choices . . .

It really all depends on what you want to do most of the time. I'd turned on a Delta 1440 for three years and was seriously considering moving up to a Vega bowl lathe, since that's what I turn about 85% of the time. I'd researched and test drove just about everything since I thought this would be my last 'big' lathe. The only problem I saw was I'd be giving up almost all spindle work capability. When I suddenly had my budget doubled by my wife (I bought her a Bernina some time back - best investment I ever made!), I immediately went for a Stubby 750. Since then, I've picked up a Jet mini with bed extension for smaller spindle things that I make for craft fairs.

Bottom line, get the best tool for what you want to do the most. There's tons of hype about each brand (no one wants their baby to be insulted), but when you get into the more expensive models, they all are solid machines. Some just do certain things better than others.

Don't forget to consider head stock spindle height - it should be close to the height off the floor of your elbow. Then there's issues of if your old chucks, face plates, tool rests and etc. will work with the new one.

Back