• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Rabea Gebler for "Plum Blossom" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 24, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Boxes You May Have Never Seen Before POLL

Which Box Do You Like?

• No. 1 Ringed Gidgee Round Bottom Box

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No.2 Beeswing Narra Elegant Box

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • No. 3 Figured Bocote Round Bottom Box

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Website
www.ovwg.org
When I post my work I like to space out my postings. This makes you guys wait in suspense for my next box! So not every box I make gets posted in the Gallery.
So.....here are three boxes you have never seen before on the Forum.....I making this a poll to see which box is most popular!! Have fun!

No. 1 Ringed Gidgee Round Bottom Box
No. 2 Beeswing Narra Elegant Box
No. 3 Figured Bocote Round Bottom Box

Let me know what you think!

Ringed Gidgee Round Bottom Box.JPGBeeswing Narra Elegant Box.JPGBocote Round Bottom Box.JPG

Website
www.ovwg.org
I like the Gidgee box the best overall. How did the Gidgee turn? Hard wood!
Oh it's pretty hard Michael! I had to sharpen before the cuts and the Hunter tool struggled a bit to hog out the interior. Not the hardest wood I have worked with, that would be Verawood related to Lignum Vitae. I too like the Gidgee box because of the unique coloring and figure.

If I have to choose one, I'd say #3, but only because the grain is so unique . They're all excellent and I'd be immensely proud of any of them.

Are we supposed to judge solely on the basis of the box and ignore the wood/grain? That's what I chose to do.

If I looked at any of these individually, I would find them all excellent, but for reasons I cannot explain, next to the bocote box, the narra box looks obese, even a little dumpy. This surprises me, cuz I normally like curves, a lot. With a little more distance and subtler curves, the gidgee looks OK, but the bocote still surpasses. Maybe it's the proportions. Maybe it's the lack of a chamfered edge on top.

If I include the wood, I find I don't care as much for the bocote as I do for the gidgee, which is wonderfully warm and appealing.

As always, art is in the eye of the beholder, and my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Are we supposed to judge solely on the basis of the box and ignore the wood/grain? That's what I chose to do.

If I looked at any of these individually, I would find them all excellent, but for reasons I cannot explain, next to the bocote box, the narra box looks obese, even a little dumpy. This surprises me, cuz I normally like curves, a lot. With a little more distance and subtler curves, the gidgee looks OK, but the bocote still surpasses. Maybe it's the proportions. Maybe it's the lack of a chamfered edge on top.

If I include the wood, I find I don't care as much for the bocote as I do for the gidgee, which is wonderfully warm and appealing.

As always, art is in the eye of the beholder, and my opinion is worth what you paid for it.
Bingo.....I thought the same thing about the Narra box. A little too much curve maybe!!??? I'm still liking it, but maybe shave off a 1/16" or so.

Since you asked.....

These are boxes, I'm viewing them as utilitarian objects. But that doesn't mean they can't be attractive. The bases are all too small, when I put something down on a surface I don't want any chance it will tip. #3 looks especially bad in this sense.

Why are the lids so tall?

Without getting too much into photo editing I've snipped the tall lids on #1 and #2 for improvement. #3, I don't see a way to improve. I would continue the base curve into the lids as I've modified them the reverse curve shows a bit. As modified my favorite is #1.

box 1.JPGbox 2.JPG

Last edited:
Website
www.ovwg.org
Since you asked.....

These are boxes, I'm viewing them as utilitarian objects. But that doesn't mean they can't be attractive. The bases are all too small, when I put something down on a surface I don't want any chance it will tip. #3 looks especially bad in this sense.

Why are the lids so tall?

Without getting too much into photo editing I've snipped the tall lids on #1 and #2 for improvement. #3, I don't see a way to improve. I would continue the base curve into the lids as I've modified them the reverse curve shows a bit. As modified my favorite is #1.

View attachment 64598View attachment 64599
Well, I don't really turn my boxes for utilitarian purposes, but the boxes are very secure on the bases, each base is probably 5/8" diameter. Also the lids are 1/3--2/3 proportions

(EXAMPLE the Gidgee box's base is 1 1/8" tall and the lid is 1/2" tall so pretty much perfect in the rations department)

so the way you edited the photos kind of messes up that golden ratio......but hey thanks for the suggestions and ideas!

Last edited:
If you use the proven mathematics to set the position of features in the boxes, the tall lid makes the bulge too low and the lid look wrong. That is why the elegance comment comes out. The bulge should be at the 3/5 to 2/5 height position and the lid be above that. I know I'll get the, but you can make it to what you want, buy just saying that's exactly why #3 speaks with that elegance.

I'm leaning toward #2, but I really like #1 as well. I love the ogee profile of them and they're more appealing to me than #3 shape. (but #3 wood color/grain is very attractive)

First thing; I wish l could do so good.
This discussion has shown that the "golden 1.618" can be applied differently to the same piece. On #3, l think l would have considered the weight of the 2 sections. I think the shape of #3 works, but it seems top heavy.

I would have loved to see the wood in box #3 turned in the shape of Box #2. In woodturning we tend to compare a lot of apples to oranges. Sometimes it's the form, sometimes it's the wood. When they come together it's nirvana. But that's just one old white haired guys opinion.

Back