• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl inside sanding

the rim to center method as described by Kent Weakly at www.turnawoodbowl.com. He recommends leaving the center mass for stability
I saw that video and not sure if the physics make sense. More mass is more inertia,…

I’ve always considered the effect was due to the physical thickness, not the mass.

But regardless of the theory/reason it does help. I personally use the rim to bottom method. When thinned to the bottom, I use the “left hand support” method on the outside to control flexing if needed. That works too.

JKJ

True but it is the indirect support that you benefit from.
What mass in the bottom of a bowl or hollowform does is strengthen the hold of the faceplate or chuck.
This mass decreases vibration significantly.
Also stair stepping leaves thicker walks close to where you are cutting the final thickness.

Creating a thin wall near the chuck or faceplate mount lets the work flex around the mount.

You can get other vibration cutting walls from things like bevel drag and too much bevel pressure.

In this clip from a demo of returning a dried 11” sycamore bowl I’m doing the finish cut on the top of the side wall.
The ring in the bottom is from the friction drive of the bare chuck jaws. I’v turned te walls down toward the bottom but have not yet turned the bottom. You can see a few stair steps.
View attachment 67392
What you say makes complete sense, in the video in question he leaves a big cone in the middle and makes the claim about it helping. Think a W shaped cross section, to a degree.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You may not be able to completely eliminate vibration, and there are two types.....static vibration, and that vibration which is caused by the interaction of your tool to wood.

You didn't define static vibration, but I am guessing that would be the vibration when the tool is not in contact with the wood

Odie

Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
TOTW Team
You didn't define static vibration, but I am guessing that would be the vibration when the tool is not in contact with the wood

Yes, you are correct, Bill.

Thanks for the clarification.

=o=

You can make a spindle washer from a plastic laundry soap bottle. I use the big orange ones from Costco. They work great and cost nothing.

All my Nova chucks except the Titan have inserts which I’ve got a dedicated wrench to remove them with. For the Titan, I made this wrench with a piece of an Allen wrench glued into an oak handle. It’s shaped exactly to the chuck body and has a piece of inner tube to help with padding and friction. Works great.IMG_6531.jpegIMG_6533.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6532.jpeg
    IMG_6532.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 8
All my Nova chucks except the Titan have inserts which I’ve got a dedicated wrench to remove them with. For the Titan, I made this wrench with a piece of an Allen wrench glued into an oak handle. It’s shaped exactly to the chuck body and has a piece of inner tube to help with padding and friction. Works great.View attachment 67611View attachment 67613
I will happily steal this idea. Genius level

Back